Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronize not possible after restore backup.

moi
Copper Contributor

Synchronize not possible after restore backup.

Hi there,

On one of the workstation I have to install the backup, but the function Synchronize does not work anymore (is grey)  I tried to original place but that did not work because this folder was gone.  I installed on a new place and different name.

Anyone has a idea how i get the possibilty again to synchronize ? with the main database

Best regards

Marcel

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronize not possible after restore backup.

If you restored the backup of the remote database to a new location, then you would have used the "Restore As" option.  This creates a copy of the database from the backup, and that copy will not be able to sync, since technically it is not the same database..  You will need to export any unsynced data from that restored backup to the main database, then create a new remote database for that user.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

moi
Copper Contributor

Hi Ghollister,

Thanks for the supply, the problem is in the main database where we sync. with 5 pc the information. I setup a new pc and made a new remotedatabase.

While unpacking this i get a error Illegal characters In path and it does not work. I already put in a folder called c;/actnew/ to try to solve this but did not work. I have a backup of the old pc that is used so thats why i try it with the backup.

The best solution would be to fix the problem of the Illegal characters In path because this problem will excist if I need more workstations. I post already some treads here but no anwer what solve the problem.

Do you have any idea how i can fix the greate a working remote database for new workstation?

Moi
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are getting the "illegal characters in path" error, it means that somewhere in the file path there is a space or other illegal character.  It may be on the users' side (the path to their My Documents folder),or it could be a filename in the database files (most typically the Attachments folder).  Try creating a folder on the root of the remote users C: drive (you can call it ACTRemoteDB) and then unpacking the .rdb there.  If this does not work, then you will need to look at all the files in the Attachments, Reports, Templates, Documents and Layouts folder for the main database for filenames with an illegal character..most of the time it is a space.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

moi
Copper Contributor

Hi Ghollister,

The create folder in the root is more or less the same as i already test with  c:/testact i supose ?

Wel the only things is then to check all. (this is about 1 giga on info) so wish me luck.

Best regards

marcel