Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization

Synchronization

I use ACT! 2010 and would like to merge/synchronize multiple databases on the same computer. Is synchronization possible or do I need to import or export data?

Thanks all for your kind assistance.

Charlie

Silver Contributor

Re: Synchronization

It sound like you have several databases to start with.  To use sync, you would need to import them into and create a mastor database. From that master database, you would then create rempte databases which would then sync with the master.

A lot of times we see people with multiple databases, one for customers, one for prospects, one for marketing, etc.  If this is the type of setup you have and is the reason for the multiple databases, it would be far better to use just one database.  They use dynamic groups, or lookups to segment the database.,

You can't take disparate databases (that haven't been created as remotes from a master) and just start syncing them.

Hope this helps. If I've missed something, let me know.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you Jon,

I agree with you about using a master DB. The only reason I had more than one is that the databases are clients/customers of totally different and unrelated industries. If I understand what you are saying then, it is possible to create a remote database on the same computer that the multiple databases are on. Correct?

Charlie -

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Assuming you are not using ACT! Premium: while you can create a remote database and restore it on the same computer on which the 'main' database resides, it will not be able to synchronize. 

The reason being: with the standard (non-Premium) version of ACT!, you have to have the main database open to receive the incoming synchronization.  And you have to have the remote database open to initiate the sync.   But you can only have 1 database open at a time on a single computer.

If you happen to have the Premium version of ACT!, there is a program called Network Sync Service which will allow you to synchronize 2 databases on the same computer.  Network Sync is on the installation disk.

Using the 'Standard' version of ACT!, with 2 databases on the same computer - you would need to use the import/export functions. 

Point to ponder:  You are asking about using 2 databases on the same computer and then synchronizing them... At that point you would simply have two copies of the same database/information.  I would agree with Jon's recommendation for combining the databases into one main database and then using an identifier (ex: field, company, group, etc.) to parse the information.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you Greg and Jon,

This info helps. Now I understand why synchronization can't work with multiple db's on the same computer.

Charlie -