Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization vs Sharing over a Network

Copper Contributor

Synchronization vs Sharing over a Network

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have a database and my plan is to have 10-16 people to collaborate with it. The database have around 1000 contacts, it not that big i size, maybe it get bigger when more features of ACT! are used?

I'm not realy sure how I can solwe this and witch approach is the best.

I have network drives that all of the people have access to so maybe some kind of synchronization (Application Synchronization??) is a good solution.

Can I have the parent database on a network drive or do i need to put it on a host machine and have the application running all the time, how does it work?

Or is it better to set up a server for the database, I find this more expensive because you need to set up the server and use one licens for that.

I will read throw the kb the rest of tha day but is hoping on getting some guiding.

Edit: Version is 11.0 (2009)

Message Edited by asedt on 11-26-2008 07:24 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Synchronization vs Sharing over a Network

You can deploy your database in a Client Server model on your network, ACT does need to be installed properly on the "server". Best practices would be to dedicate a pc/server to hosting the database although that is not a requirement nor does ACT have to be running on the host machine (just the background services).

Licensing is based on named users within the database so you will not be using a license on the host.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

If on the same LAN, you should share the database as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5g5s9s

Synchronisation is for laptops or remote systems.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your replys

Is a server the only way to go?, is that whats you are saying? 

It's the best way.

As you're all on a network, don't you have a server?

Also, for 10+ users, you'll need the Premium version.

Copper Contributor

Thanks agen GLComputing

Ok then I know what I have to do.

As everything with the computers is outsourced at my company I can't count on that it's easy to get a server spot. We have some virtual servers on the way but I think it's months until they are redy for use. I will investigate that futher tomorrow.

And also make sure that it's Premium version we have if we don't have that alredy.

Brad (who poasted above) offers hosting of the database that you could access via sync, web or VPN.... this might be a useful option till your hosted servers are available.