Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Synchronization suddenly stopped working

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 281
Country: United States
Accepted Solution

Synchronization suddenly stopped working

All of a sudden, I am no longer able to regularly sync with my main database, which is located on a Vista Business machine.  (Rarely, I can sync.)  As far as I know, I had made no relevant changes.  I am running ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367.  (This is not the premium version of Act, so I can't use Network Sychronization. ) I am long-time user of Act who has synced for years so I am familiar with setting it up.  I am certain that the main database is set to accept incoming syncs.  I have created a new remote database.  That didn't help.

 

I have teleneted from the remote machine to the host machine and have confirmed that the IP address is correct and that the port (65100) is open.  I have done this with both my remote databases, one on a Vista-Home Premium and one on a XP Pro machine.  I have tried substituting the IP address for the machine name in describing the main database location.  I have confirmed in the Database Information (in About Act) that database sychronizatioon is "true".  I am able to remotely open the folder containing the Act database from both of the remote machines.

 

None of this has helped.  

 

Any thoughts as to what to do now would be most appreciated.

 

Roger


Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 281
Country: United States

Re: Synchronization suddenly stopped working

I think I have solved the problem on my own.  It develops that the name I selected for the machine upon which the master copy of Act resides contained both upper and lower case characters.  By in large, Microsoft operating systems don't care and treat upper and lower case characters equally.  Therefore I could ping and telnet the machine in question by using all uppercase characters.  That's what threw me off.  I saw the port as being present and open when I tested by using telnet.  Act, however, does care.  It requires that the specification for machine be exactly the same as the machine name, using both upper and lower characters. 

 

Although specifying the machine name correctly in upper and lower case solved the problem, it doesn't completely clear the issue.  Questions remaining include: why did sync work anyway on occasion (albeit seldom) and why did the problem pop up suddenly after many successful syncs.

 

Anyway, fixed is fixed.

View solution in original post


All Replies
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 281
Country: United States

Re: Synchronization suddenly stopped working

Oh, yes, and I tried changing the port.  Although telnetting showed the new port was open, I still couldn't sync.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 281
Country: United States

Re: Synchronization suddenly stopped working

I think I have solved the problem on my own.  It develops that the name I selected for the machine upon which the master copy of Act resides contained both upper and lower case characters.  By in large, Microsoft operating systems don't care and treat upper and lower case characters equally.  Therefore I could ping and telnet the machine in question by using all uppercase characters.  That's what threw me off.  I saw the port as being present and open when I tested by using telnet.  Act, however, does care.  It requires that the specification for machine be exactly the same as the machine name, using both upper and lower characters. 

 

Although specifying the machine name correctly in upper and lower case solved the problem, it doesn't completely clear the issue.  Questions remaining include: why did sync work anyway on occasion (albeit seldom) and why did the problem pop up suddenly after many successful syncs.

 

Anyway, fixed is fixed.

Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 281
Country: United States

Re: Synchronization suddenly stopped working

The best solution is to rename the computer upon which Act resides.  However, the only choice is to change the name from one with some (or all) lowercase to a name with all uppercase.  Act will not work if any more dramatic change is made, as Act's SQL server's name includes the name of the machine upon which Act resides, however, translated to all uppercase.  It is still unclear as to why Act would occasionally sync even if the machine name was partially in lower case.