Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization problems

Synchronization problems

I've been having a heck of a time getting my four workstations to sync with the server. I've purchased Sage Technical support and the case has been raised to a level three issue. Maybe someone here can give me some insight. Every time I try to synchronize with the main server, I get this error message: "Synchronization has failed. Unable to translate bytes [FE] at index 102 from specified code to unicode. Contact your administrator for assistance." All of our workstations have Windows XP Professional. The server is running Microsoft Server 2003. All workstations are running the same version of ACT!. I have disabled the firewall. I have pinged the server from every computer. I have tried synchronizing the ACT! Demo Database and I get the same error. The tech support guy tried uninstalling ACT! from the Server and re-installing it piece by piece manually. No matter what I do that same error keeps coming up. Does anybody have any insight?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronization problems

Are you still having issues with this?

Are all copies of Windows US English and same regional settings?

Can you check that you use no special character (commas, apostrophes, etc) in user names, file names, folder names...

Also, what version of ACT! (full build from Help | about)?

Hi,

I've got the same problem. Do you find a solution?

Dany

Hi Mike,

My Server is Windows 2003 server SP1 english and workstation are Windows XP sp2 some are french and some are english. The regionnal setting are the same. It don't have any special caracter except space in user name and folder name. The version is ACT! 2007 Version 9.0.1.162.

The first time we test Act sychnonization, the server was installed on a Windows XP computer, and it work fine. When I installed Act on Windows server 2003 and transfert the database on it, I got the problem. The only thing I suspect is the code page converstion table were different on the Windows 2003 server. The guy who install Windows 2003 server select all the code page. So I tried to select the same as on the workstation and I got the same problem.

We can use the database on the server without any problem when the workstation are connected to the LAN.

Thank you for your help!

Dany

The ACT! development guys do a really poor job of understanding people outside North America... there are a number of issues where ACT! is used to share a database between systems with different regional settings or languages.

Your best bet to finding out if anyone has a solution (or can tell you that it can't be done) would be to contact an ACT! Certified Consultant in Europe.