Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: The specified path, file name, or both are too long

Tuned Listener

Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: The specified path, file name, or both are too long

After recreating a brand new databases and 2 new RDB from 2 previous RDB backup, I get the following error message when I try to synchronize;

Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. 

I had alot of problems trying to recreate a new database as I will get error msgs when creating RDB saying that the temporary filename was not unique. Anyway I was able to go around this problem after calling Sage. Had to manually remove the attachments from the databases folder and then create the RDB. Once the RDB was unpack on the remote computer, I had to manually drag and drop the attachments into the new empty attachments folder from the RDB.

All worked fine until I try to sync.

Act version :  11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1

Windows Xp pro

Thanks

Tuned Listener

Re: Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: The specified path, file name, or both are too long

Ok I have managed to fix this issue by relocating the database into another folder on my local C: instead of the My documents.

But I know have another problem:

Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: Impossible de créer le répertoire ou le fichier(Cannot create file or folder in english),  Contact your administrator for assistance. 

Anyone?

Tuned Listener

Re: Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: The specified path, file name, or both are too long

Anyone?
Platinum Super Contributor

Looking this message up on Microsoft's website - it appears to that it can be caused by a few things:

- attempting to create a duplicate folder name

- too many files/folders in the directory

- not enough space on the hard drive

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Might be a duplicate but how would I know which one if the error msg is not telling me?

got 35gb of free spaces, no problem create new file or folder in the DB folder.

I am so Tired of act!!

I have spent SOOO many hours trying to fix this thing.

Tuned Listener

Im out of Idea...

Anyone Else?

I have spent 2 hours last friday with someone from sage and with an Act! vendor. We have found a work arround for the database creation but I still have the following error msg and is Unable to sync.

This is my last attempt before I through Act! out of the window!!

Platinum Super Contributor

See your Private Messages.
Greg Martin
Sage