Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization - Where does the new synchronized data go?

LM
Copper Contributor

Synchronization - Where does the new synchronized data go?

I have been trying to synchronize data between my desktop and laptop computers over my home network. Both are using ACT! 2009 Version 11.0.0.367 and the same operating system. I followed the instructions in Sage Knowledgebase "How to set up application Synchronization in ACT!" Answer ID #15192. After several unsuccessful attempts using my real data base I started using the ACT11Demo data base as a start point. I added a contact to each data base. One to the ACT11Demp data base on the desk top and a different one to the ACT11Demo data base on the laptop. My hope was that the synchronization process would result in both contacts being added to both data bases. When I run the synchronization routine from the laptop, everything seems to run correctly. I can look at the Sync log on the desk top and it shows informaton was updated and transfered. The same is true looking at the sync log on the laptop for the remote data base but when I look at the sync log on the laptop for the ACT11Demo data base, it is blank. No records in any of the three data bases have changed. I am confused as to where the new data goes. Am I wrong in assuming that is should go into the ACT11Demo data base on both machines? I feel that I am missing some final step in moving the data to the data bases. Can someone please help me understand what I am missing?

LM

Nickel Contributor

Re: Synchronization - Where does the new synchronized data go?

When you attempted to sync your database what is the error message your getting (if your getting one)?

LM
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am not getting any error messages. The "Synchronize Now" screen shows activity as it is synchronzing and reports 2 records were updated and says there were 0 exceptions. Looking at the Sync Log on the ACT11Demo database on the Publisher computer I see the same type activity. The Sync Log on the newly created database (I called it Test5) on the Subscriber computer shows the same activity but the ACT11Demo database on the Subscriber computer shown no activity in the Sync Log. None of the data bases seem to have been changed in any way as a result of the snchronization.

LM

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm having the same problem as 'LM' but also its not sync the calender data. And the sync log says 'Exceptions Occurred - 14'

I Run act on 4 Machines that share a database on one of the 4 in an office and one remote database on a laptop, The Laptop connects to the machine hosting the server via Hamachi VPN.

Thanks for any replys

Message Edited by evansg on 03-05-2009 02:49 AM
Nickel Contributor

Maybe I'm way off base here LM, but syncing one remote will not update other remotes, only the server. Subsequent syncs will update the other remotes. Synchronization is a two way conversation between the host and the remote, the other remotes are out of the loop until they sync as well.

The only thing that won't be reflected almost instantly on the host are deletions. They are kept in an exception state until all remotes have sync'd to ensure not contacts are removed that could potentially be updated by a later sync.