Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization Help Needed

Synchronization Help Needed

In our two person office we have Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1 of ACT! running on the boss's notebook and the remote database on the desktop.   We were synching just fine and dandy until the boss had to reformat his hard drive and reinstall XP and ACT!.  Everything was backed up correctly regarding ACT! All went well and his database is running fine. He is back on the network etc.  I can see his computer from my network, but we cannot seem to synchronize our databases anymore.  We both run XP with no issues with firewalls, etc.

Please help.  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronization Help Needed

It sounds like the sync was broken when the database was restored.  If you have not done so, you will probably need to create new remote databases.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

That is what I surmised, but was hoping not to resort to creating a new database for me.  I assumed that his restored database would no longer "recognize" my remote database but treat it like an unwanted child from a past relationship. Smiley Surprised

What is the exact error message you are receiving when you try to sync?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copied from the Remote Database Sync Log:

"Message: ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running. Also be sure you are connected to your network."

We have been synchronizing our databases for years. Like I initially stated, the boss's database appears on the network and he knows to do the necessary steps (i.e. enabling from his computer).  Is there more to the Network sync service than meets the eye?

This error usually indicates that the remote machine is unable to reach the sync service on the host machine.  This could be due to a firewall or permissions issue, improperly configured sync service, the sync service not running or a damaged sync service.  Here are some things to check:

1) Make sure that the Network sync service is running on the host machine and that the database has been added to service.

2) Make sure the version of the Network Sync Service is the same as your version of ACT! (ex, 9.0.1.162)

3) Add the sync port (by default is TCP Port 65100) as a port exception to the Windows Firewall on the host machine (or any other firewall software that may be running) or turn off the firewall.

4) Make sure that the same version and build of ACT! are installed on both machines (go to Help/About ACT!)

Greig Hollister

You said that the host machine had been reformatted, which means the computer name may have been changed.  Check the connection information in the remote database to make sure the correct computer name of the host machine is in there:

- In the remote database, go to Tools/Synchronization Panel, then choose Manage Main Database Location.  Make sure the correct machine for the host is in here.  You can check the host's computer name by right-clicking on My Computer from host, choosing Properties and looking under the Computer Name tab.

- Also on the remote under the Synchronization Panel, go to Manage Connection Information and make sure the name of the host machine is correct. You can also verify the sync port number here as well so it can be added as a firewall exception.

Greig Hollister

Thanks for all your help.  I have sent your responses to my boss.  He will go over what we have discussed here and try to sync over the holiday.

Have a wonderful holiday!