Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronization Failed

Copper Contributor

Synchronization Failed

I am testing a new install of version 16.  I created a test db and two users Bill and Tom.  I set up a sync set with all available contact with all users and then I created my remote database. 

On a different machine, same version of act, I installed the db and then with Bill I synced the database.  No problem.

On a third machine, same version of act, I installed the db and then with Tom I synced the database.  I get a synchronization failed.  Already has been unpacked an synced at least once. 

I am under the impression that I can create one remote database and have multiple users utilize this database to sync against the main database.  I surely hope I do not have to create an individual remote database for each user!  Yikes!

Any ideas why I get a sync failure?

Thanks,

Owen

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Synchronization Failed

Owen - Yes you need to create a separate RDB for each user and then Restore/Unpack that RDB on that user's PC.

You cannot use the same RDB for multiple users. How would Act! know what to sync for each users?

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

I am new to act, trying to work my way through it.  It seems to make sense to me to have one remote database and have a number of users that would have the capability to update the database. 

The documentation says - An important part of preparing for synchronization is to create a Sync Set. A Sync Set must be created prior to creating the Remote (Subscriber) database.  The Sync Set defines the ACT! synchronization Users and the list of contact records that you wish to include in the synchronization. This can be limited to one remote user and one contact or can include all users and all contact records in your ACT! database.

What is the point of selecting multiple users of the remote database, or picking "All current and future users of this database" if each individual remote database is specific to one user?

Bronze Super Contributor

Owen,

Please follow this KB and all will be well.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14116

Trust me, I've created many RDBs over the years and they all work reliably.  Remember that you'll need to use a VPN for them.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Thanks.  WIll do.

Copper Elite Contributor

Well one Reason to have the option for multiple users, is exactly as it sounds.

you may not want your intended user of the RDB to have Administrator level privleges on the Database, but you still need to have at least 1 admin user that can log into the database as necessary, so you would create a sync set with mutliple users.

I hope that makes sense, I'm very open to correction if it doesn't!

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services