Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronising with PDA

Synchronising with PDA

I have ACT 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367 and also ACT on my Dell PDA. I synchronise both via ActiveSync. My OS is Windows XP SP2.

I have not had any problems for a long time but now I cannot synchronise properly any longer. What happens is that apparently synchronisation takes place, however, nothing in either the computer based programme nor the PDA based one changes. So the question is, what is the PDA synchronising with? I have no idea what might have caused it. There was no obvious major problem with the computer or the handheld prior to this. Uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync made no difference.

Peider

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Synchronising with PDA

You will need to re-establish the connection between the PDA and your Act! data using the 'Desktop Overwrites Handheld' option.

Since this option will re-write all Contact data on the PDA, before running this sync, you will need to:

- manually enter changes made on the PDA into the Act! database 

- as a precaution - backup your Act! database (File > Backup > Database)

To re-establish the data:

- in Act! > Tools > Handheld Setup option

- in Sync Action > change the sync setting to 'Desktop Overwrites Handheld'

- sync

Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Greg

Many thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I was unable to try it. It has emerged that mysteriously ACT Link for Handheld PCs has dissappeared. When I wanted to reinstal it from the disc I got an error message that installation could not be completed because ACT 6 or later was required. I cannot understand why it did not recognise that ACT was actually on there, and there does not seem to be the option to tell it that a version of ACT is in fact installed.

Is there a way to solve this?

Peider

Platinum Super Contributor

It sounds as if the Windows Installer files have become corrupted.  At this point you will want to make a backup of your database using File > Backup > Database options (just a precaution), then uninstall Act! 2009 using the Windows Add/Remove programs screen.  Reboot your computer and then reinstall Act! 2009, then install the Act! Link program.

Greg Martin
Sage

Reinstalling ACT Link for handheld PCs

Mysteriously ACT Link for Handheld PCs has dissappeared. When I wanted to reinstall it from the disc I got an error message that installation could not be completed because ACT 6 or later was required. I cannot understand why it did not recognise that ACT (2009 - 11.0) was actually on there, and there does not seem to be the option to tell it that a version of ACT is in fact installed.

Is there a way to solve this?

Peider
Platinum Elite Contributor