Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronisation conflicts (Act! 2010)

Synchronisation conflicts (Act! 2010)

I'm currently evaluating act 2010 for a small multi site situation I'm looking to purchase 4 or 5 copies. I have previously used act extensively in earlier version but never with synchronisation. I have done a couple of quick tests with the trial version to see how synchronisation works, particularly regarding sync conflicts and I really hope that I can access some setting or preference that assists with synchronisation conflicts because its not working as expected, this is what I have done:

* Created the database and synchronise "partner"  setup everything and sync no problems.
* Created a user Bill Smith in 1 database and synchronise No problem, now Bill Smith appears in both databases.
* Changed the address for Bill Smith in 1 database to 1 North Street and in the other database to 1 south Street.
* Synchronised again and no changes were made and no errors occurred(?), Next I changed the phone number in one database to 123456 and the other to 654321
*Synchronised again and still no conflicts message or opportunity to resolve and the records remain different?

So either the synchronisation doesn’t work or I am missing some thing (I assume its me)

I see that the act.com site has a document called synchronisation architecture but unfortunately the link is broken.

Thanks in advance if you can provide any information or point me in the right direction, Once I have this resolved (assuming I can) I'm ready to purchase.
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Synchronisation conflicts (Act! 2010)

Rex,

I'm not exactly sure what is going on....I have seen something like this before.  Here is another link for the whitepaper...give it a try and see if it can be of help.

ACT! Synchronization Architecture

Let me know if you have any problems with the link.

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com

Thanks, the link worked Ill have a good read.

So this behaviour I'm seeing is not normal then? Do you normally get some sort of conflict message to enable you to go an resolve the issue?
If that’s the case where do you see the conflict message?

Thanks for your help

I have made a quick screen video of the issues. I have a remote desktop tool that allows me to access the 2 machines (act1 and act2) logged on as a different users. The Sync does work if you only update one database (see the “London” update at the end of the video) but it won’t do any sort of sync conflict resolution if you update both ends at the same time?

Is this by design or a bug?

Video: http://www.hillsstreetgroup.com.au/temp/DemoOfSyncIssue/DemoOfSyncIssue.html