Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching Act database with laptop

Synching Act database with laptop

We have 4 Act licenses and I have installed them on 3 desktops and 1 laptop. We are in a server/client environment with a domain. The Act database is on the server in a shared folder for the users to access. The one person with the laptop wants to be able to access the database when away from the office and sync when she returns (not necessary to sync when away from the office). From one workstation I created a remote database and placed the file on the server and then restored the database on the laptop. However when I go to sync I get the error that says network sync not available. If I telnet to the server on 65100 I get nothing. If I create the remote database on one of the workstations and then restore that to the laptop I am able to sync successfully. So my question is do I have to buy another license and install Act on the server so be able to sync the laptop? Also I have read the articles that keep referring to network sync service and need to install from cd. I have looked on the cd and cannot find where those files are located. I also looked on the workstation that I was able to sync with and did not see it listed with all the other services. Should it be there and could it be under another name?

Just had a thought. Even though the main database resides on the server, can I create the remote database on one of the workstations that has Act installed and have the laptop sync with that? Will that sync with the main database that all the users are accessing?

I am new to Act so any help will be apprecited.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synching Act database with laptop

The Network Sync Service is only available in the Premium version of ACT!

In the standard version of ACT!, you can do this with Application Sync as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4bpded

The main difference is that ACT! needs to be open on the server to accept the sync

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that but now my question is that if the data is on the server do I have to but another license to install Act on the server as well as make sure it is running when the laptop comes back into the office and is ready to sync? Or can I create the remote database on one of the workstations and if so then will it sync with the database that lives on the server?

Thanks for your input.

Platinum Elite Contributor

No, you don't need another license for the server. ACT! 7.0 and later is licensed per user name that you add to the database.

When using Application Sync, you do need to have ACT! open to the database for the user to sync with it.

Thanks, I will try it.