Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching ACT with Outlook

Copper Contributor

Synching ACT with Outlook

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere - can't find it!

I can make and accept meetings in Outlook and they sync with ACT.  Meetings scheduled in ACT sync with Outlook.  No other types of activities scheduled in ACT sync to Outlook though.  I've had this problem since having to upgrade ACT when we moved to Windows 10 - and haven't been brave enough to try to sort the problem until now!

Anyone shed light on why?

Thanks!

Tim Royds

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Synching ACT with Outlook

Tim,

What version of Act! are you running? Check in the toolbar menu - Help | About Act! 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0. Update 6

Administrator

In Act! if you go to "Tools > Synchronise with Outlook > Outlook Synchronisation Preferences" you should be able to see the sync settings.

Click advances preferences and make sure the activity types you want to sync are ticked.
Copper Contributor

Hi Jon

thanks for reply - appreciated.  The unfortunate news though is that I found that - and for some reason (resolution related?) I can't see all of the table, and the system won't allow me to make any changes either?!

If only life were simple...!!  :-(

Tim

Administrator

Do you have DPI scaling enabled on your machine?

If you right-click on your windows desktop and choose Display Settings, under "Scale and Layout" there is a % scaling option. Try setting this to 100% and restarting Act (everything may be much smaller than you're used to). If this works, you should be able to adjust the Sync Preferences and then you can set the scaling back if desired.
Copper Contributor

Crikey - it's done!!!!

After putting up with this since upgrading probably 2 years ago, it's sorted!  Thanks Jon!

I've had to put the resolution back to 150% though as the writing was REALLY tiny!  I'll know for next time I have an issue like this though.

Thanks again Jon :-)

Tim

Platinum Elite Contributor

You might find it worth looking at upgrading ... As long as your Office version is 2013 or 2016.
There's a completely new Outlook integration that's far more reliable and it's a bit better at handling different screen resolutions
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

Thanks for the thoughts and input - appreciated.  And Trust all is well down there in upside down land! :-)

I'm afraid I'm not very positive about ACT.  I was forced to upgrade when we moved to Windows 10, and as a consequence lost days of work (not good when you're self-employed) and paid a significant amount of money to our IT Consultant to get all the glitches in the allegedly improved new version of ACT.  Which when we obtained it couldn't even pick up multiple e-mail addresses - you had to go to each individual profile you wanted to receive the email and copy and paste their e-mail address from the profile into the email in Outlook!!  Had this product actually been tested pre-launch?!  I think not!!  I had ACT engineers on-line for hours trying to make the system do the basics.  Part of their solution was to put icons for Microsoft office into the toolbar at the bottom of the screen; if these applications are launched from elsewhere then ACT can't cope.  And mail merge still isn't working today - which forces me to pay for e-marketing (a cunning ploy to prize more money out of my pocket?!)  And of course ACT e-marketing is awful!  Edit one part of a document and colours, underlining, and line justifications in other parts of the same document change too - which you don't know until you send a test e-mail.  Takes A LOT of trials to sort out all the issues before sending the final version with no ACT newly created errors in it.  A job which should take 15 minutes normally takes an hour.  And is HIGHLY frustrating!

...which is why I'm in no rush to repeat the experience!

...and is why my strong recommendation (I work as a B2B Sales & Sales Development Consultant) to Sales Leaders when considering CRM systems is to avoid this product.

Sorry to be so negative Mike - not targeted at you in any way, in fact I really appreciate the positive input from you personally.  This product has caused my pocket so much damage that it does me some good to vent once in a while!! 

Platinum Elite Contributor

The need to upgrade with Win10 was more an MS issue than an Act! one.
And much of the Office integration issues are also. Act!, like most apps older than 5 years uses a connection via "Redemption.dll" to talk to Office. But, MS keeps messing with that since 2013 and have a new (better) method. However, the new one means no connection to Office 2010, or earlier, so the new system wasn't viable till it was determined that enough Act! users had moved to the current Office versions. The new Act! 20.1 has a re-written connection, using the new system and is far better.

If it's any help, I was quite vocal about some of the issues with v17/18.

This is why Swiftpage actually contracted me to help with QA testing for v20 and v20.1.
Have a look at this article - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2018/01/act-certified-expert-sanctioned-by.html
If you look at the two links at the bottom, one talks about some of the work I've been doing and the other is a letter talking about the new Office integration.

The savings you'll make in time and reduced stress will far outweigh the investment of the upgrade.
I'd also recommend spending a little with a decent Act! consultant when you need it. General IT consultants don't usually know the tricks and gotchas.