Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching ACT with Outlook

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synching ACT with Outlook

Oh, and the new contact/cal sync can even go directly to Outlook365 or Exchange servers. It's streets ahead of the old version
Copper Contributor

Hi Again Mike

I hope you don't mind me responding on this thread after such a long time.

I've noted that as of 30th November Act v.18 is no longer going to be supported.  I guess this means that no further patches / fixes or whatever will be made available as future evolutions of Microsoft products lead to loss of ACT functionality?  

If this is right, this in turn means I have a simple binary choice - pay again for an upgrade, or have a dysfunctional ACT application?

I do recognise that v.18 seems to have all sorts of problems - at the moment mine has stopped synching with Outlook and will not pick up multipile e-mail addresses from Groups or lists - they have to be copy and pasted mannually.  I guess this is due to a 'helpful' Microsoft update of some description.  Your earlier (helpful) message suggested that v.20 links to Outlook in a different way to v.18 and so Microsoft updates won't cause problems the way they are currently?  Have I understood that correctly?

i'm trying to avoid here the situation when I upgraded to Windows 10, as a consequence had to upgrade ACT, only to find it didn't work, with Swiftpage telling me the solution was to upgrade again and pay for a second time - which I was forced to do!  So much for customer service.  Speaking of which I've left a request via e-mail for Swiftpage to contact me about this, and have done the same via Twitter - and 3 working days on am yet to receive a reply!  So much for being a valuable prospect!!

Keeping fingers crossed you can help...

Tim

Highlighted

You've pretty much got it right. They typically keep support for two major versions from the current.

Office 2019 is due soon ... I suspect on v21 will fully support it.

v20.1 got a major overhaul of the Outlook Add-in... In part to use Microsoft's preferred new add-in connection. While MS still has their old one, they keep messing it up in updates and has caused big issues for many third-parties (not just Act!).

Update 6 for v20.1 had about 90 defects fixed as well as about 20 feature improvements:
https://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2018/06/act-201-update-6-is-great-release-actcrm.html

v21 is due this month and has a lot of improvements, also.

You might consider the option of a Premium subscription. That way, you'll always be up-to-date as well as having access to many features and add-ons that are only available on that model.

As to your Windows 10 issue, that's mainly due to Microsoft not making Win10 compatible with their earlier versions of their SQL:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2681562/using-sql-server-in-windows-8-and-later-versions-of...

v17 (which was released before Win10) could be made to run but with quite a few issues. These were resolved in v18.

It's largely the issues with the changing OS builds, Office, and other apps that hasdriven a lot of the software industry to prefer subscriptions ... Then, users know, and can budget, their annual investment - and the software vendors don't need to wait to have enough new stuff to justify upgrades when they need to add a fix for to support updates by other vendors.

Hope this helps explain the causes for your issues. It's not just Act! (SP) doing the wrong thing.