Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching ACT 2008 with multiple machines,

Synching ACT 2008 with multiple machines,

I was able to get Act 2008 to sync with my Treo 700p phone, but I can't seem to get it to sync to my laptop. I have a small Linksys network. I was able to easily synchronize with ACT 6.0  and earlier version. (I go back to ACT for DOS)

I tried just copying the files to the laptop but that doesnt work.

I am trying to understand the sync sets but I don't see any command to actually intiiate or schedule a synchronization. The Treo is easy. I just push the Hot sync button. But there is no Hotsync button on my laptop.

I consider myself very computer literate, but I am lost.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Copper Contributor

Re: Synching ACT 2008 with multiple machines,

Check out the whitepaper available on Sync architecture.

At the high level, you need to decide which is your "MASTER" database.  You need to create a Sync set on that database and create a remote data base (RDB).  This is often referred to by many ACT! users as "cutting a remote".  You then take the remote database (Via USB stick probably) to your remote machine and open it in ACT! (Use File menu).
The remote database is "linked" the MASTER, so you can sync to that master either using Application Sync (ACT! has to be running on the MASTER) or using network or HTTP Sync (separate installations from your premium CD if you are using ACT! Premium)

Pierre
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
We have four folks in our company and just purchased 4 copies of ACT! 10.0.  My plan is to use FolderShare to create the folder on each machine where the database will live.  I tried it with a demo version of v8.0 (2006) last week and it worked well.  When anyone would edit or add data, it was immediately reflected on the other PCs.  FolderShare is free and has been working well for file sharing over the last year.

Fred

Message Edited by fredlanger on 01-30-2008 03:01 PM

Message Edited by fredlanger on 01-30-2008 03:02 PM

I would doubt that Foldershare would work with a SQL database relaibly... make sure you keep really good backups!

You might be better off using normal share on a LAN or sync for the remote users.

I followed the article step-by-step. I created the remote database.  I tried to restore it to my laptop as instructed. I browsed to the database folder on my laptop via the network neighborhood. All seemed to be going well until then end when I got a message from ACT saying that the folder on my laptop was not a valid location.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Rick English

Tuned Listener

You wrote: "I browsed to the database folder on my laptop via the network neighborhood. "

Sounds like you tried to restore the DB to a network folder. You can only restore locally. ACT! is using SQL to host the DB, so it has to be on a local Drive to that computer.

You can restore it to the default folder. ACT! creates a folder structure in your My Documents folder, "...\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases".

I usually create a folder structure on the Root "C:\ACTDATA\Databases". This option gives you a shorter path structure then the My Documents which usually start with "C:\Documents and Settings\User\..."

Mike L - I was certainly premature in my assessment of FolderShare (now Microsoft Live FolderShare) as a valid synchronization conduit.  Once we had all 4 folks try to start working it was a serious trainwreck of errors and lost data.  Fortunately I backup and was able to get one machine back on track.  Three of us have ceased to even launch the product for now.

I have downloaded the article mentioned above and will study the steps.  The new plan seems to be purchasing an inexpensive PC to act as a 24/7 server running the Publisher database with synch enabled.  Just perusing the article sure looks like synching is a lot of work even beyond the initial setup.  I have also read other posts where synching just doesn't seem to work at all.  I hope we haven't bought into a nightmare product.  We really had high hopes for this as a serious business tool.

Fred

Copper Contributor

Wow Fred -- you are another example of a PC literate ACT user, with difficulties using ACT (in your case sync) I am monitoring the disscussions and I am giving this product another 30 days (before I purchase the additional 8 licences I will need) I dont want to have to study the complete metrics of ACT in order for our office to use it ----