Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synching ACT 2008 with multiple machines,

Highlighted

Re: Synching ACT 2008 with multiple machines,

[ Edited ]

If anyone else has any suggestions or caveats re: a small group of people all using ACT at the same time (not on a local network, rather spread across the state and connected to the internet) and expecting their entries to synch to everyone elses PCs - please weigh in :-) 

========

Ran across this: ACT! Synchronization Architecture.  Could prove helpful...

========

After an initial readthrough, it appears that our 4 copies of ACT 10 (2008) cannot synchronize unless we are all attached to the same local network.  Well, that's not very helpful.  We all travel and have home offices.  It looks like only ACT Premium can synch via the Internet.  Once I can verify this, we'll have to look at upgrading, then diving back into this synchronization adventure.

Message Edited by fredlanger on 04-22-2008 05:35 PM
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

@fredlanger wrote:

Mike L - I was certainly premature in my assessment of FolderShare (now Microsoft Live FolderShare) as a valid synchronization conduit.  Once we had all 4 folks try to start working it was a serious trainwreck of errors and lost data.  Fortunately I backup and was able to get one machine back on track.  Three of us have ceased to even launch the product for now.

Can you be more specific about the issues?

It shouldn't be used for the ACT! database sync, but I thought it could be used for attachments

Highlighted

@fredlanger wrote:

After an initial readthrough, it appears that our 4 copies of ACT 10 (2008) cannot synchronize unless we are all attached to the same local network.  Well, that's not very helpful.  We all travel and have home offices.  It looks like only ACT Premium can synch via the Internet.  Once I can verify this, we'll have to look at upgrading, then diving back into this synchronization adventure.

You can also use Hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

This will set up a VPN so you can sync securely with the standard ACT! over the internet

Highlighted

Highlighted

I have had the same issue with ACT 2008, only I just need to sync with one other user right now.  We can't be in the same place all the time and need to sync through a vpn.  I have tried Hamachi and only been able to complete a synchronization once.  This occurred while we were in the same office, using the same internet connection (me with cable plugged in and her connected wirelessly).  Before then and since then Hamachi has not worked.  I have tried turning off the firewall and exceptions, etc, turning off the anti-virus, spyware, etc., nothing has worked.  I keep getting the error that the program cannot connect to the server database, contact the administrator, make sure "share database" is checked...  The server database is set up to share the data and sync is enabled. 

If anyone has any ideas, other software to use, or ways to fix this connection, PLEASE post.  My sanity is slowly diminishing... 

Thanks!

Highlighted

In the sync panel, Connection Information - change the MachineName to the server machine's IP address.

Sometimes the machine name isn't seen via VPN

Highlighted

Also change in the PAD file as per the bottom suggestion in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5l2zn8