Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync

Sync

Hi again.  I want my sales reps to use act from remote locations.  I have tried to set up the master sync set on my desktop at work.  When I go to choose sync server connection it only lets me choose Network (inside firewall). 

I run XP.

I have disabled the firewall in windows. no change.

I do have a wireless network in my office for use by my reps to log on to the internet when in the office.

What am I doing wrong or is there another way to exchange and update data base with remote laptops?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync

This is the only option with ACT! unless you have the Premium build. You'll also have to have the master system with ACT! open to the database to sync with non-Premium builds.

You might use Hamichi to set up a VPN to make this easier - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

Thanks.  Let me get this clear.  What you are saying is the only way to exchange and update our data is via a network.  We can not do it via file transfer protocols?

Second question.  I have tried to go through and build the remote database.  It has stopped and come back with this message.

'Failed to create remote database 'Globalact'.  A server error occured on the current command.  The results, if any should be discarded, A severe error occurred on the current command.  Please contact the administrator...

The same has happened on the laptop???

Platinum Elite Contributor

flippertt wrote:

Thanks.  Let me get this clear.  What you are saying is the only way to exchange and update our data is via a network.  We can not do it via file transfer protocols?

With SQL, the remote must be able to see the master

Second question.  I have tried to go through and build the remote database.  It has stopped and come back with this message.

'Failed to create remote database 'Globalact'.  A server error occured on the current command.  The results, if any should be discarded, A severe error occurred on the current command.  Please contact the administrator...

Have you tried following the steps as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3pm6fp

The same has happened on the laptop???

You shouldn't do this on the laptop, only on the machine with the ACT! database.