Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync with a remote location

Sync with a remote location

I inherited an ACT database created in ACT 2012. It was set up so that 3 remote computers could sync with the main database located on a desktop computer. The hard drive crashed on the desktop and the database was lost.  My problem is that the laptop wants to sync with the desktop. How do I break that link? Thanks in advance for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync with a remote location

At this point there isn't any real link to break. The real question is what do you want to do, let the remotes use separate databases or reestablish the sync network. You're best option would be to contact and hire an ACT! Certified Consultant To determine your needs. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the suggestion. The biggest problem is ACT takes 15 minutes to boot up because it is looking for the other part of the database to sync to. I want the version I'm using on my laptop. That's where all the changes have been made. I want to speed up the program opening and have it not look for the main database to sync with.

I had originally hired an ACT! Certified Consultant to set it up so that all my computers could input to ACT with the main database being on the desktop computer, It never did work right and the consultant never did fix it. However, he was very happy to take the money and I never heard from them again.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unless automatic sync was setup (not something I would do on a laptop) it shouldn't be looking for the host database. Try this, go to Tools | Synchronize Database and choose Synchronization Panel and look for something line Disable Synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129