Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync with Outlook and blackberry

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Sync with Outlook and blackberry

Hi, I am getting overloaded, I hope you can help. 1: I use a blackberry (love it) 800 Contacts. I back it up to Outlook.  2: I  Use Act 2006 (I am on my fourth version) and have 3500 contacts. 3: I want to be able to do a change in act and have it syc to the phone, and vice versa, but I do not want to put all 3500 contacts on the phone. Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author since94
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync with Outlook and blackberry

Syncing Outlook to the Blackberry is easy. Syncing ACT! to Outlook will always lose some of the data because Outlook simply does not have the ability to support it. Most people who try will eventually get some sort of data dumplication of corruption.

It's not Microsoft that works with Blackberry, it's RIM that creates the links to the Blackberry from Outlook or Exchange... it's why they actually work better than Mobile Windows devices in most cases

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

The best solution for the most ACT! like experience on a Blackberry is Handheld Contact (HHC). This is a wireless solution and has a default limit of some 1400 Contacts. You are able to control precisely what Contacts can synchronise and it is smart enough to include new Contacts in the sync that you create and that you have an Activity scheduled with. When you send email from HHC it will be attached against the contact record in ACT!. So aside from synchronising ACT! to a notebook, this is the next best remote solution.     

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Astute Commentator

Thanks

Anything cheaper out there, Handheld Contact is nice for sure but I do not need wireless.

Also does act 2006 sync contacts with outlook.

Really I use three databases for contacts

"Act" my main repository for all info Since 94.

"outlook / blackberry" data transfer from my Motorola to rim and in use since 07.

"simpleremote" A custom real estate program that does synchronize with outlook.

So I really need help  

Handheld Contact will do 2500 contacts

ACT! doesn't sync contacts with Outlook.

Going via Outlook causes problems as Outlook doesn't support all the fields and file-types that ACT! supports.

Astute Commentator

Thanks Mike

Can something like this will work

Import all my act contacts to a outlook (do not know yet how this is done)

Synchronize the  simpleremote contact database (a real estate and mortgage) with outlook

Will this allow me to only enter a new contact to act and have it work everywhere

Also

can I set up a sub-folder in outlook to synchronize my blackberry to outlook

this is getting complicated for me but I do not want to give up act

Since94 wrote:

Thanks Mike

Can something like this will work

Import all my act contacts to a outlook (do not know yet how this is done)

Synchronize the  simpleremote contact database (a real estate and mortgage) with outlook

Will this allow me to only enter a new contact to act and have it work everywhere

Also

can I set up a sub-folder in outlook to synchronize my blackberry to outlook

this is getting complicated for me but I do not want to give up act

Unlikely to work. Certainly not if you want to enter or modify activities on the phone.

Have you tied the trial of Handheld Contact?

Bronze Elite Contributor

You could try Companionlink which will sync from ACT! to Outlook for a limited number of fields. If you originated all changes in ACT! that would probably work. It really is about the number and types of field. Companionlink is cheaper and no ongoing fees but it does not have the same depth of ACT! like function as HandHeld Contact. If what you are doing is mission critical use Handheld Contact to get a comprehensive synchronisation. Yes it is going to cost you more but if it is doing the job that no other solution will do, does that matter?  Can you reproduce the same functionality of your real estate product in ACT!?    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Astute Commentator

Thanks Mike and Garaeme -

I think the first thing I have to learn is: to be able to sync just some of outlook contacts to blackberry. This will allow my to sync act with outlook and not flood my blackberry with contacts, I am still amazed act does not sync basic info with outlook without a third party program. This walled garden approach is surprising.

(I want to keep the link from blackberry to outlook clean since it is programmed properly and although sage seems to have gotten their act together lately, I currently trust Microsoft will work with RIM better since they do it now very well)

and to Graeme

I spent a lot of time trying to get act to do what I needed before I went out and bought a specialized program. In fact all the contacts came from Act and we spent a bit of time mapping all my act contacts to that program.

The main thing it does for me is organize the bids for I the sale and financing of property neatly.  There was no way for me to properly connect a property database with a contact database in act and the harder part was then keeping the bids on the properties in one place. The original workaround was to make every property a group, as in the old real estate program for act, and I still have the properties set up that way. but it is impossible to seach and do much with a group record and when I wanted to keep track of the bids on the property I hit a wall. I also tried working within opportunities but I could not get it to do what was needed.

once I get the outlook/blackberry thing worked out I will be back to discuss the next step.

I use CompanionLink to sync my ACT to Outlook.  My Outlook is actually on a Microsoft Exchange Server so I get the benefit of a wireless sync from my Mobile 6.0 pda.  I sync around 1500 contacts with activities, notes/history and of course get my email as well.

I have had some sync issues and have to do  purge and reload on occasion.

Yes there are more fields in Outlook, but I get all the information I need on my pda.  CompanionLink has a product called DoubleLook that automatically syncs ACT to Outlook everytime you make a change in ACT.

Solution
Accepted by topic author since94
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Syncing Outlook to the Blackberry is easy. Syncing ACT! to Outlook will always lose some of the data because Outlook simply does not have the ability to support it. Most people who try will eventually get some sort of data dumplication of corruption.

It's not Microsoft that works with Blackberry, it's RIM that creates the links to the Blackberry from Outlook or Exchange... it's why they actually work better than Mobile Windows devices in most cases