Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync problems / lack of understanding

Copper Contributor

Sync problems / lack of understanding

I'm using ACT Pro 2012.

I am trying to sync a database with a partner working remotely.  I've been setting this up with two computers on my LAN, but I can't see how it would work for someone who isn't on the LAN.

I created the remote database and located it in a Google Drive folder.  I set the main database to accept incoming syncs.

On the other computer, I opened the RDB file and created the secondary database.  Then synced to the main database as instructed.  I made a couple of changes and synced again to confirm that synching is working.

But the sync seems to work through a port on the main computer, not through a file.

I don't see how my remote partner can sync using a file, or over the Internet.  The documentation mentions internet sync, but I don't see the option when I'm setting up syncing.  A file would be the easiest.  That's the way it used to work I think.

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync problems / lack of understanding

There isn't any sync file created with ACT! 2005 and later, the sync is a direct ink between the host and remote database. The simplest is over a LAn but you can sync suing a virtual private network. Check this KB. http://tinyurl.com/5cbkr2

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Not having the file / email syncing is a bit of a nuisance.  I don't remember using it much, and it was years ago, but I don't think it was all that complicated.

Setting up a VPN is more than I want to get into at this time, so here's what I've settled on - not quite working yet.  I'd appreciate comments as it may not be foolproof, and I think it might have security issues.  Some of these steps might not have been necessary.

1. I moved the ACT database to 'ACT Data\Databases' under the shared Google Drive area
  2. Set up Windows Firewall to allow Google Drive
  3. Shared the database from ACT.
  4. Shared a folder within my Google Drive area - one level up from ACT Data - with my partner
  5. Created a user for my partner on the machine with the database.  Even though he won't be using the machine, this seemed to be necessary
  6. Gave full permissions to all users to the \users\Google Drive\shared folder\ACT Data folder.
  7. Edited the PAD file - changing the location to "." (consistent with what an ACT support person recently did for a different issue).

After this, I'm able to access from the machine the database resides on, and the machine I use most.  But when I tried from one of the other computers to simulate how my partner would access, I only got partway.

I can see the logon screen for the shared database, and then  logon as my partner. But then ACT presents an error message about the supplemental files not being accessible.  I've found some references, but I don't see anything wrong.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

In the first place the file / Email sync was a Kludge, hard to setup properly and prone to failure. (I knoe because I wrote the KB documents on setting up sync on ACT! 6 when I was in tech support. What you're trying won't work for anyone but ypu because the database is attached to the SQL server on your system and your partner can't access the SQL server on your system.

Read the KB I referred you to, here is the link again. http://tinyurl.com/5cbkr2

It's a relatively simple process, much simple than the old Email sync in ACT! 6.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129