12-06-2011 08:41 AM - edited 12-06-2011 08:42 AM
I have one remote user and he hasn't been able to sync for 2 weeks now. It started happening right after about 25 new fields were added to the database, as well as one field change to about 9,000 contacts. I'm going to assume at this point that the problem is due to the amount of changes that need to be sent. My user is on a super-slow DSL line, connecting to our office via VPN. Nothing else is amiss with any other connections/file transfers.
Here's today's log:
======== SYNC SESSION - 12/6/2011 9:32:46 AM ========
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:32:46 AM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:32:46 AM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:32:49 AM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:33:06 AM ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: DATABASE_NAME
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:33:06 AM ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: 99526a30-26c1-4bbc-a6c4-d6b3e006c963:<DATABASE_NAME>
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:33:24 AM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 12/6/2011 9:34:52 AM ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 28
[ Error | 12/6/2011 10:04:56 AM ]Message: Server initialization failed. Synchronization timed out.
Here's what I've done:
Changed timeout values to 360/360/3600/10 for in ActDiag on both the Publisher and the Remote databases
Called Tech Support and was advised to upgrade the Service Pack and HotFix 4 for Act Premium 2011. I did so this morning for the server and all clients. We are now all running Version 184.108.40.206, Hot Fix 4.
Tech Support said don't upgrade to Hot Fix 5 because it's known to cause sync issues (hah!)
Tech Support also advised me to run the batch file "28293_sync.bat" found in this KB article: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28293/kw/28293
However, when I do this on the server, I get this error: Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server ACT\ACT7, Line 1 Login failed for user 'ACT\taca'
I am however able to run this batch file on the remote database successfully.
As a backup in case no one has any other ideas, I have created a new remote database to give to my remote user. But I don't want to lose all the changes he has made to his local database in the past two weeks. How do I retain these changes if I can't sync to the server?
I will take any and all suggestions!! I have until tomorrow morning, since I'll need to transfer the 500mb remote database to the DSL user (torture!!) and that's going to take some time.
Anyone? Beuller? Thanks guys.
12-06-2011 11:15 AM
Did you already deploy the new remote database file? How did you create it - using "Recreate database" in Sync panel?
If so, pretty sure that you won't be able to sync from the original anymore....
If you hadn't created a new file yet, I would have said move the remote database to a machine where you can get a fast connection - like right on your network where the server is...
12-06-2011 11:18 AM
Yup, I did "Create Remote Database" from the Sync panel. It's currently copying to his computer. Only 3 hours left for 560mb. lol
Just so I understand (and for the future), if I copy the RDB file from his local machine to my LAN and then sync from there, I could then copy that RDB back to his computer, and all would be right with the world?
**bleep**. You sure I can't still do that? That would be a good solution.
12-06-2011 11:44 AM
You ought to poke around in the KB articles on this one, but I am pretty sure recreating basically orphans the earlier version because as you know, an RDB can only be used once in a sync set - they are fingerprinted so to speak...
Yes, if the pipeline is the issue, you could take a look at the document for moving a synchronizing remote to a new machine (basically what you are doing) so that you remove the limiting factor of the small pipe, sync it, and then move it back.
Really just a matter of changing a setting or two in the sync panel so that the host knows where the remote "lives"...
If you find that the original remote will no longer sync, you're looking at having to run an import of some fashion to get the data that is orphaned.