Do you mean 

Sync error

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Sync error

[ Edited ]

Hi

I am getting the following message when I try to sync. I'v turned off firewalls and checked my computer name is correct. Any Ideas.

ERROR OCCURED AFTER LOGON IN SYNCHRONIZATION MANAGER; OBJECT REFRENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT.

I am using v11

snyc has never worked I created rbdatabase on flash drive to use at home office main data base is home notebook.

Tried database maintence that did not work.

tI created a second remote data base that gave me the same message.

Message Edited by MICHAELJUDE on 05-21-2010 07:17 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync error

MICHAELJUDE wrote:

I will start from the beginning.

In version 5 I used a flash drive to carry by data base to work with on the office computer. When I worked at my home office I would sync the flash drive to my home laptop. This is much easier than carrying the laptop back and forth.

What are the steps to sync the remote database on a flash drive, to the main database on the hard drive. Both data bases are my laptop just different locations.

This was easy with version 5. I’ve spent to much time on this upgrade I am the only sales person using this program every one else uses a pencil.

Any solutions?

Not by that method. That isn't a valid sync method with ACT! 2010.  You can sync via the internet using a third party VPN like Hamachi. Use the link for the knowledgebase document on setting up Hamachi.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello MichaelJude,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Has the sync ever worked? 

Also, what version of Act! are you running (in Act! > Help menu > About Act!)? 

If it has worked at one time, try running Database Maintenance on both the main database and the remote.  This is found under the Tools menu > select Database Maintenance > select Check and Repair.  Then test sync again.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

I am using v11

snyc has never worked I created rbdatabase on flash drive to use at home office main data base is home notebook.

Tried database maintence that did not work.

tI created a second remote data base that gave me the same message.

Message Edited by MICHAELJUDE on 05-21-2010 07:17 PM
Tuned Listener

I use my home notebook as the main database location. For the last couple of years I used a flash drive to carry the database to use on my office computer. Then I would sync the flash drive with the main data base at work. The whole point of upgrading was integrating with microsoft outlook.

The first remote data base I saved on my notebook not the flashdrive I figure that's what caused the above error. I then created a new remote database on the flashdrive and put in a days work with the new remote database on the flashdrive.

When I try to sync i get:

The database NEW could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be nessary to diable any firewal software on your computer or server.

I disabled the firewalls and got the same message.

Any solutions?

Tuned Listener

In version 5 I used a flash drive to carry by data base to work with on the office computer. When I worked at my home office I would sync the flash drive to my home laptop. This is much easier than carrying the laptop back and forth.

What are the steps to sync the remote database on a flash drive, to the main database on the hard drive. Both data bases are my laptop just different locations.

This was easy with version 5. I’ve spent to much time on this upgrade I am the only sales person using this program every one else uses a pencil.

Any solutions?

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

MICHAELJUDE wrote:

Any solutions?

Not by that method. That isn't a valid sync method with ACT! 2010.  You can sync via the internet using a third party VPN like Hamachi. Use the link for the knowledgebase document on setting up Hamachi.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

To expand on Roy's comments, using the flash drive and syncing will be very difficult.  There are 2 main things that will cause issues:

1. The Act! database PAD file retains information about the computer that is hosting the database.  When you move the flash drive from computer to computer, it will continue to reference the original computer name and file path.  This is most likely why you got the message 'database could not be accessed'.  You can get around this by opening the PAD file with Notepad and editing the host name value.

2. If you are using the Standard version of Act!, you must have the main database open for the remote database to sync to it.  If both of the databases are located on the same computer, you can only have 1 database open at a time and will not be able to sync.

Since you are already using a main/remote database configuration, a workaround will be to bring the laptop to the office so they can both be connected to the network and share files.  They will then be able to synchronize (this assumes you used the 'Create Remote' function within Act! and that the databases were not created independently).  For more information on creating a remote database, visit this article:

How to create a Remote Database

If bringing the laptop into the office and connecting to the network is not an option, you can use the 'Import' function (File > Import > Database) option to update the database in the office.  Here is an article explaining the Import function:

Best Practices for Importing/Exporting Databases 

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like a lot of work for both solutions plus an added cost for VPN. Can I set-up a VPN?

I have Version 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0.

I use ACT! For prospecting and I own the license and data base not my company.  It was my boss who suggested using the flash drive instead bringing the laptop into work it's worked well for the last 3 or 4 years. Now what do I punt?

Any other Ideas.

Hamachi is free.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener