Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync calendar activities for other contact to Outlook

Tuned Listener

Sync calendar activities for other contact to Outlook

Hi,

We're using ACT!2010 standard and Outlook 2007.

We have activities scheduled with contacts (not users) and I'm wondering if there's any way to sync these with Outlook without adding anyone else to the activity?

Specifically we use ACT! as a training database and would like to be able to see Courses (custom activity) scheduled for all Trainers (contacts) in Outlook calendars as well as ACT!. Is that possible? Given that we have 5 users I would like to avoid having to schedule each course with a trainer AND all users if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Kerrie

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Sync calendar activities for other contact to Outlook

Presumably the users are scheduling for trainers and you are synchronising to Outlook because the trainers don't have ACT! and you would like to get the training schedule to them.  How many trainers, how many courses and how many instances of each course per month?

One (but not the best) way would be to create each trainer as a passive user in ACT! Premium. (You need ACT! Premium to have more than 10 users).  Classes would be contacts. A Class would be scheduled with a Trainer. The Trainer would be scheduled for the Class.  The classes would be scheduled by any of the 5 active Users (Schedulers).  So the contact represents a specific instance of a course. Classes (contacts) could be contained in Groups (Courses).

Presuming Trainers are on same network (LAN) to access the ACT! database you could use a 3rd party sync utility to get the calendar(s) to Outlook.

Are attendees needing to be accounted for? If so this adds complexity but is achievable, Trainers wouldn't see Attendees however (custom table won't sync).

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

Re: Sync calendar activities for other contact to Outlook

Thanks for your suggestions Graeme.

I am actually looking in to this because 1 of our users (also the lead trainer who needs the complete schedule) doesn't like the way the ACT! calendar looks. He also has an issue with all courses displaying as me (being the user who schedules the courses and allocates them to trainers).This isn't something that we can change unfortunately. He has now decided to use Google calendar instead so we are running 2 separate calendars. Not the way I'd have suggested but it's keeping him happy for now.

We have approx 10 trainers, only 1 of these is or ever will be a user.

Unfortunately we won't be upgrading to Premium any time soon, we only have 5 users at the moment.

We do currently account for attendees by creating a group for each course which is associated with the course activity, students are automatically added to the group when the course code is entered which works pretty well for us.

Thanks again!

Kerrie