Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Re: Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

I too am having a similar issue.  We have Act hosting our database and two remote computers with remote databases synching to the server over the internet.  We had everything set up and running somewhat fine (with MUCH grief), but one of our remote users clicked "OK" when act prompted him to upgrade to the latest version.  Since he was unable to sync with the database, we had to upgrade the server and the other remote computer.  Thinking that it was just a minor patch (10.0.3.xxx to 10.0.3.182) we thought everything would be fine.  After much more grief, we were able to upgrade the other machines and get them running.  Then all of a sudden, the remote computers can no longer sync.  They just sit at the "initial handshake" forever.  When I looked on the server and tried to click on "accept incoming syncs", a prompt comes up and a progress bar goes across again and again for about 5 minutes "starting sync", then an error message pops up saying "Could not start sync server.  ACT! has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections.  Contact your administrator for assistance."  Nothing has changed except the update.  Our router is still forwarding ports.  I tried repairing the Act Internet Sync and the Act Network Sync to no avail.  I tried opening up the demo database and "accept incoming syncs", but it still give me the same error.  I checked the windows event log and didn't find any error relating to Act.

I am stumped.  I have to get this Act to sync, but how can I when it just outright refuses?

Help!

Kevin

Copper Contributor

Hi

First off, I should mention that when one of your computers is upgraded to a new version, whether it is major, minor or even just a different build number, I believe that all of the other computers need to be upgraded to precisely the same version and build number, or the sync process won't work. Currently, I have both my desktop and notebook computers at version 10.0.3.182. Both computers have Win XP Pro, SP-3 and I use the standard version of ACT! on a peer-to-peer network with both computers being attached by ethernet Cat 6 cables to a Linksys router/switch. I have not had any networking problems with this layout. 

When I initiated this thread, the Main/Master database was located on the desktop computer and the remote database was located on the notebook computer. I could never get this configuration to work correctly, and I still do not know why not. I had finally decided to return to version 6 when I decided to make one last effort. So, I installed the main/master database on the notebook computer and the remote database on the desktop computer. This solved the problem, and I haven't the slightest idea why. The only substantial difference between the 2 computers is that I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite on the desktop and Eset Nod32 on the notebook. However, even after I uninstalled ZoneAlarm from the desktop computer, the problem remained. BTW, I have the FastLynx file transfer program on both computers. Do you have this or any other file transfer program on your network?

One issue that arose after the main/master database was installed on the notebook is that "Tools - Synchronize - Accept Incoming Syncs" did NOT have a checkmark beside it like the instructions say that it is supposed to. I had this same problem when the main/master database was located on the desktop, and if the checkmark wasn't there, the sync would fail. Once I moved the main/master database to the notebook,the sync process always works even though the checkmark is non-existent.

BTW, like you I experimented with the Demo database because I thought that, possibly, my database had been corrupted and that this was the source of the problem. And, like you, it made no difference. Before I moved the main/master database to the notebook computer, I did a complete and I do mean a complete uninstall of ACT! 10 from both computers. I also completely uninstalled Microsoft's .NET and SQL packages from both computers. Then, I reinstalled .NET versions, 1.1, 1.1 HotFix, 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1 and also the SQL Server 2005 program included with ACT! 10. I really don't know that any of these gyrations had any effect, or not, but I thought that I should mention them, anyway.

At this point, it both works, and works well. However, I have no intention of changing either versions or builds again in either this lifetime or the next one, and Sage can definitely count on me to NOT upgrade to their latest and greatest. I have VMWare Workstation 6.5 on the desktop, and one day I shall use it to test ACT! 10 by placing a main/master database inside it on a Win XP GUEST Operating System that has only ACT! and its supporting programs installed. If that doesn't work, then it is time to go back to version 6. Anyway, if you have already haveVMWare you might try using it with this program. If you don't, but you have the technical capability to carry it off, you can use the no-charge Server version to do this.

Good Luck.

Platinum Elite Contributor

@deadeye0909 wrote:

When I looked on the server and tried to click on "accept incoming syncs", a prompt comes up and a progress bar goes across again and again for about 5 minutes "starting sync", then an error message pops up saying "Could not start sync server.  ACT! has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections.  Contact your administrator for assistance."  Nothing has changed except the update.  Our router is still forwarding ports.  I tried repairing the Act Internet Sync and the Act Network Sync to no avail.  I tried opening up the demo database and "accept incoming syncs", but it still give me the same error.  I checked the windows event log and didn't find any error relating to Act.

I am stumped.  I have to get this Act to sync, but how can I when it just outright refuses?

1. Why are you running both Internet and Network sync services?

2. Did you update both (if using both) to 10.03?

3. Where are you telling it to accept incomming sync? You should NOT do this in ACT! (that's for Application sync)

Ok, I think I finally tackled it.  It was somthing wrong with the Act installation on the laptop.  I completely blew away Act and started from scratch (THAT was fun) and now it syncs fine.

Dont know exactly what the problem was, but reinstalling fixed it up.