Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Copper Contributor

Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Hi

I have Win XP Pro, SP2, with all critical updates installed on both my desktop and notebook computers. I have the Standard version of ACT! 2008 (10) , version 10.0.1.199 on both of them. On the desktop, I have 3-GBs of DRAM and the program is installed in the default directory (folder) on a drive with 35-GBs of free space. On the notebook, I have 1.5-GBs of DRAM. The desktop has the master database and the notebook has the remote database. The Microsoft SQL Server debris are also installed in their default directories. BTW, I have done the ACT! installation process approximately 6 times on the desktop and 2 times on the notebook.

I have an ongoing problem on both computers with getting the Sync Server to start. On rare occasions, it will start up, and when it does, the synchronization works correctly. However, almost always, I get the following error message:

"Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid."

Yes, I know that I said that the notebook computer has the remote database. I have tested it by using the included demo database.

On other, rare occasions, the ACT! program will startup, however, it can not find the database. When this happens, it can not even find the Sage provided demo database that is included with the program. I must completely shutdown the computer to clear this problem.

The program and MS SQL Server express were both installed with "Selective Startup" activated and the "Load Startup Items" box unchecked. On several of the installs, including the last one, I also did the following: under the "Services" tab, I unchecked all boxes that did not have Microsoft in the Manufacturer column. Immediately after the last few installations, the Sync Server process has worked perfectly for the first few syncs. Then the problem starts. BTW, when I have done the uninstalls the last few times, I have used the automated uninstall, and then I have manually cleaned up the leftover debris. This includes following the instructions from the KB article on how to do this manually.

On the desktop, the firewall/spyware/antivirus program is Zone Alarm Suite (fully updated to the latest version which is 7.0.462.000). However, I have the same problem on my IBM Thinkpad T43, and it does NOT have Zone Alarm. It uses the Windows firewall and the Eset company's NOD32 antivirus program. I get the same problem whether or NOT the firewall, antivirus and spyware programs are either ON or OFF.

At this point, I have returned to using ACT! version 6, and I am going to remove ACT! 2008 and MS SQL Server Express from both computers. I am totally uninterested in doing yet another uninstall/install process because I have already wasted way more time than this program is worth to me. However, I am curious to know if anyone else has had or even heard about this specific problem. Let me mention that you will find another thread on this forum about the problem and if it was initiated by "Steve" (me), then that was my first go around with this issue. As you can tell and contrary to my declaration in that thread, I did not find an adequate solution.

I am also quite curious to know what Windows services must be "Started" for the sync server to startup. Keep in mind that the program has started so the usual suspects like SQL Server (ACT7) and SQL Server VSS Writer are, at the very least, in "Started" mode. How about Window's .dll files. Do any of those need to be a certain version, or perhaps the one(s) associated with the Sync Server starting are corrupted, and need to be replaced.

Anyway, for those of you who can successfully run an ACT! version later than version 6. Some God must really like you.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Does the error about the sync server come up when you set the Publisher to "Listen for incomming Sync" or when you try to sync from the Subscribers?

I'm actually wondering if the error might be the ACT! 10 version of this one http://tinyurl.com/2fty26

You did create 2 separate RDBs?
Any chance you sent the same RDB to both remotes?
Or the same user name?

Just a guess, but looks possible
Copper Contributor

Hi yet again Mike

It occurs when I do the following:

I click on Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. The port number box pops up with port 65100 as the default. I then click on "OK". A progress box flashes on the screen for, perhaps, 1/10th of a second, and then up pops an error box entitled "Sync Result". The error box has a red circle with a white X in it. It states, "Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid. Contact your administrator for assistance."

Interesting. As I was writing this reply, I opened ACT! 2008, and then ran Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. This time instead of "The handle is invalid" it said "Access to the path is denied". So I closed Zone Alarm Suite, and then tried again. Got the same error message: "Access to the path is denied".

Mike Wrote:
>I'm actually wondering if the error might be the ACT! 10 version of this one http://tinyurl.com/2fty26

I don't think so. Whenever the Sync Server will start on the publisher/master, then the actual sync proceeds correctly.

It sounds like something else on your system is already using the port 65100

You can try using a different port for sync
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

Mike Wrote:
"It sounds like something else on your system is already using the port 65100

You can try using a different port for sync"

- I have changed the port number on multiple occasions, but to no avail.

I have just discovered why ACT! 2008 is not able to open either my database or even the Sage-supplied Demo database on infrequent occasions. SQL Server (ACT7) did NOT start during Windows' boot-up even though the "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic". I manually started this service, and then the program opened the available databases.

Another oddity occurred during this process. After starting the SQL Server (ACT7) service and then opening ACT! 2008, I navigated to Tools\Synchronize in the publisher/master database on my desktop. Much to my surprise, "Accept Incoming Syncs" was now checked. And many people say that California has a lock on flakes and nuts. So what do you think? Is this all controlled by the phase of the moon and the chants of the witch doctor, or are the programmers actually in control here?

Next time it doesn't work, check the service. If it hasn't started, check the Windows Event log for any error that might point to why the Microsoft SQL Server didn't start
Copper Contributor

On my notebook computer which runs my database's remote version, I shutdown my database, and then opened the ACT! 2008 demo database. I then went Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. However, I got the usual "Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid."

I opened services.msc and performed a Stop of the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service. Approximately 5 minutes later, I did a Start of the "SQL Server (ACT7) service. Then, I started ACT! 2008, and it opened with the demo base opened inside of it. I navigated to Tools\Synchronize and found that "Accept Incoming Syncs" was checked. This behavior was just like my desktop.

I don't know why stopping and starting this service is automatically enabling "Accept Incoming Syncs". Do you? On my desktop, I performed a complete shutdown of the computer, and after booting up and opening up ACT! 2008, I found that "Accept Incoming Syncs" was still enabled.

Do you have any idea what Windows processes are started by this service? I would like to discover if the "Stop" and then "Start" adds any process(es) that are not being initiated during boot up.

You know you shouldn't be trying to accept incomming syncs on the remote machine?

No, I'm not sure of the details of the service... it's just the Microsoft SQL service. If it's not starting properly, usually the Windows Event Log might have an error that points to the problem
Copper Contributor

REVISION TO MY POST OF 3/9/2008 07:10 PM

I DISCOVERED THAT MY EXPLANATION WAS INCOMPLETE. SORRY FOR THE ERROR.

∙ On my notebook computer which runs the master database's remote version, I shutdown my RDB database, and then opened the ACT! 2008 demo database. Then, I navigated to Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. However, I got the usual "Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid."
∙ Closed ACT! 2008.
∙ Opened services.msc and executed a Stop of the "SQL Server (ACT7)" service.
∙ Approximately 5 minutes later, I opened ACT! 2008. The program eventually opened, however, ACT! 2008 could not open any databases. PLEASE NOTE: The "SQL Server (ACT7)" service was still stopped.
∙ Closed ACT! 2008.
∙ Approximately 2 minutes later, I opened services.msc, and did a Start of the "SQL Server (ACT7) service.
∙ Started ACT! 2008, and it opened with the demo base opened inside of it. Navigated to Tools\Synchronize and found that "Accept Incoming Syncs" was checked. This procedure also worked on my desktop computer.

My assumption is that this procedure must reset some aspect of either the service or the program that is not correctly set during either the Windows boot up or the ACT! 2008 boot up.