Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Copper Contributor

Re: Sync Server Will NOT Start - Again, Still, Yet

Hi

Mike Wrote:
Once again - why are you trying to accept incomming syncs on a remote?

- I presume that you are commenting on this paragraph from my 03/15/2008 post:
>On my notebook computer which runs the master database's remote version, I shutdown my RDB database, and then opened the ACT! 2008 demo database. Then, I navigated to Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. However, I got the usual "Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid."

and this paragraph from my 03/09/2008 post:
>On my notebook computer which runs my database's remote version, I shutdown my database, and then opened the ACT! 2008 demo database. I then went Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs. However, I got the usual "Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid."

1. In all tests on the notebook computer, the RDB database located on the notebook computer was closed before the factory-supplied demo database was opened as a master database on the notebook computer.

2. In all tests, the object of the exercise was to test whether or not ACT! 2008 could activate "Accept Incoming Syncs" on the notebook computer while using a factory-supplied database that was playing the roll of the master database. In all tests, the effort to activate "Accept Incoming Syncs" on the notebook failed, just as it had done on the desktop computer with both the master database that I created and the factory-supplied demo database.

3. At no time was this anything more than a test to see if "Accept Incoming Syncs" could be checked so that the sync server would start. NO effort was ever made to initiate an actual synchronization while using the notebook's ACT! 2008 program with a master database.

Just to clarify my problem: at NO time has a synchronization procedure failed when the sync server could be started by checking "Accept Incoming Syncs" in the master database. The problem has always been with getting the sync server to start when I tried to check "Accept Incoming Syncs". AFAIK, this function is grayed out (unavailable) when an RDB is open, and it is only available when a master database is open. Just as "Synchronize Now" is only available when an RDB is open, and it is grayed out (unavailable) when a master database is open.

Hope this clarifies the issue for you.
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
Questions broken out for easier response.

When you get the invalid handle error message on the main computer, have you tried opening the demo database, and starting the sync from that database?

Have you tried creating a new database, file->new database, on the master computer, enabling syncronization, and then starting the sync service?

I haven't ever seen the particular error message you are mentioning on your main computer, you get the same "the handle is invalid" on both machines, with different firewall software installed?

Are both Act! 2008 _and_ sqlserver.exe (SQL Server 2005 express) marked as exclusions in Zonealarm?

Message Edited by nbohne on 03-16-2008 03:12 PM
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Copper Contributor

Hi

nbohne Wrote:
>When you get the invalid handle error message on the main computer, have you tried opening the demo database, and starting the sync from that database?

- Yes. Many different times. Any master database on both the desktop and notebook computers produced the same error message.

nbohne Wrote:
>Have you tried creating a new database, file->new database, on the master computer, enabling syncronization, and then starting the sync service?

- Yes. Did not make any difference. Apparently, the problem is either in the program or in MS SQL Server; not in the database.

nbohne Wrote:
>I haven't ever seen the particular error message you are mentioning on your main computer, you get the same "the handle is invalid" on both machines, with different firewall software installed?

- Yes. It didn't matter whether or not Zone Alarm was activated on the desktop. Didn't matter whether or not Windows Firewall was activated on the notebook. Same with the anitvirus and antispyware programs. Zone Alarm on the desktop and Eset's NOD32 on the notebook.

nhohne Wrote:
>Are both Act! 2008 _and_ sqlserver.exe (SQL Server 2005 express) marked as exclusions in Zonealarm?

- Both of them are marked at the highest Trust Level, III, and no messages or warnings were ever issued by Zone Alarm.

- At this point, I am leaving "Accept Incoming Syncs" checked all of the time on the master database. On past occasions, even this didn't work. After booting up Windows, sometimes "Accept Incoming Syncs" would be unchecked without any human intervention. Also, I have reviewed the common programs on both the desktop and notebook computers, but unfortunately, nothing jumps out at me.

- As stated in an earlier thread on this same topic, I have found Microsoft products and those products intimately involved with Microsoft to be, for me, quite problematic. Where Microsoft is involved, I have found that moving in the opposite direction as fast as I can go is my optimal course of action. Can't remember when that attitude didn't serve me well. Currently, I duplicate all ACT! 2008 entries in ACT! 6, but I won't keep that up too much longer. I'm not sure how long before ACT! 2008 gets drop-kicked into the Windows ME memorial garbage can, but another "can't fix it" failure ought to do it.
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's obviously not the program, but something interfering with the service starting up

After you get the error, can you check the Windows Event Log to see if there's a more detailed error log there?
Copper Contributor

Hi

Mike Wrote:
>After you get the error, can you check the Windows Event Log to see if there's a more detailed error log there?

- You have recommended this action on several occasions. However, as I stated way back when in the original thread in early Feb 2008, no error messages have been logged in the Windows XP Event Log, either during startup or when the sync server error occurs. That is why you haven't seen anything from the Event Log included in any of my posts. Sorry, I just kept forgetting to mention this again during this current thread.

- I think that we shall need detailed information from high-level support personnel about the processes and various .dll files that are needed to open the sync server before we can truly resolve this issue.

Sorry... as you might guess, with the number of support posts I do, it's difficult to remember what a user has said in a previous post. Usually better to just reply to the original post to keep the info together for anyone else who might have an idea.

Have you checked both the Application and System logs?
Did you check them for the time you boot the computer?
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

Mike Wrote:
>Have you checked both the Application and System logs?
Did you check them for the time you boot the computer?

- Yes, I did. Also, looked in the Security log just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

- My sense of the matter is that the sync segment of the program somehow becomes either mis-set or corrupted. However, since the problem is inside the program or one of the .dll files and since the program starts up correctly, then no error message is generated in the Windows Event log. That is why back in the first thread, I queried whether or not ACT! 2008 has an equivalent to Window's Event log. However, it looks like the only log only covers an actual sync.

- BTW, about the number of support posts that you do: we all greatly appreciate your help. It is people like you that make or break a forum like this. That said, I sure hope that you get more than 1 hour of sleep each day. I get totally worn out just seeing the number of times that your name is in the last response column in the thread list.
Highlighted

It's interesting that you get this problem on both computers (that's correct, isn't it?).... yet I haven't heard of another user with this.

If so, I wonder what's the common issue on your systems?

Re the number of posts, the secret is that I've got some spinal damage and have been spending some time in hospital. Reading the forums keeps my mind busy. But I don't usually spend more than 30-60 seconds per post... the morphiene I'm on make it difficult to concentrate any longer.

But even so, it's a personality flaw that I can't so someone with a problem without thinking of the solution (ACT! or not)... I have been supporting in on-line forums since CompuServe (before WWW)

One day I'll figue out how to actually make some money from it all Smiley Wink
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

Mike Wrote:
>I have been supporting in on-line forums since CompuServe

- Brings back the memories. I burned a bunch of hours on the WordPerfect forum in CompuServe all through the 1990s. That and several of the Windows forums, of course.

Mike Wrote:
>I haven't heard of another user with this.

- There was another one on 3/18 or 3/19. Plus I wonder if some of the other problems listed have been caused by the same issue(s) that caused my problem?

-Good luck with the back. My wife has cervical and lumbar spine problems, and I can appreciate how painful that is. Anyway, I must be off to a job, so until later.

[ Edited ]

Steve wrote:
Hi Mike

Mike Wrote:
>I haven't heard of another user with this.

- There was another one on 3/18 or 3/19. Plus I wonder if some of the other problems listed have been caused by the same issue(s) that caused my problem?

Difficult to suggest anything else without looking at the system.

Might be worth calling tech support and requesting them to look into it or have a local ACC come out for a visit.

Message Edited by GLComputing on 03-20-2008 04:37 AM