Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Server Not Starting

Copper Contributor

Sync Server Not Starting

Have ACT! by Sage 2008, Version 10.0.0.237 Hotfix 1 running on Win XP Pro SP-2. In ACT!'s menu, I click on Tools\Synchronize\Accept Incoming Syncs A box pops up with the port number 65100 already filled in. I click on OK. Another box with green indicator bars briefly flashes on the screen and immediately closes so I can't make out what it says. Then an error popup box opens. It says: Sync Result Could not start sync server. The handle is invalid. Contact your administrator for assistance. OK Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks for the help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync Server Not Starting

I haven't seen that error, but I'd suggest you'd upgrade to 10.01, then try again.

It it still happens, have a look to see if there's anything in the Event Log
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi Mike I intend to completely uninstall and reinstall ACT! 2008 if I don't discover a solution. If I install 10.0.1 as you suggest, will I still need to install Hotfix 1, or is that included in 10.0.1? BTW, I didn't mention it in my original post, but I did not install ACT! 2008 in the default location (c:\program files\..... I installed it in e:\program1\.... Of course, ACT! automatically installed MS SQL in its default location on the c:\ drive. In your experience, have you observed any problems that appear to have been caused by not installing ACT! into the default location? Do you know where the "sync server" executable is located? Perhaps, I need to check the permissions for this file or the folder in which it is located. I DO have "Simple File Sharing" turned OFF. Just to confirm, I presume that you mean the Windows XP Pro event log. Please let me know if I am incorrect. Thank you for your assistance.

Message Edited by Steve on 01-31-2008 09:05 AM

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

I reserve the c:\ drive for the operating system, and my d:\ and e:\ drives are logical drives inside an extended partition. I place all data files in the d:\ drive and all of my downloads and programs are placed in the e:\ drive.

Approximately once each year, Windows becomes badly mucked up so I need to reformat the c:\ drive and reinstall Windows. My data remains undisturbed on the d:\ drive and my downloads folders remain undisturbed on the e:\ drive. Because the programs have been installed on the e:\ drive, I have a complete and intact record of my installed programs. When I am ready to reinstall a program, I just manually delete the folder holding the previous iteration of the program (e.g. WordPerfect), and then I reinstall that program and its updates. More than a few of the programs don't even need to be reinstalled, because they don't interact with the Windows registry in the first place.

Once, long ago, in Win XP Pro, I tested out using the My Documents folder(s). But, to try to ensure that my data would not be swept away during a reformat, I followed Microsoft's instructions for moving it to another location. So, I relocated it to the d:\ drive. The next time that I reformatted the c:\ drive and reinstalled Windows, Microsoft wiped out all of the files located in the relocated My Documents folder. Because my experience with Microsoft extends back to MS-DOS 3.x, I already expected that the contents of My Documents would be flushed like so much irrelevant debris, so I had backed up copies of the data to another computer. Of course, I realize that was the correct procedure whether or not I trusted Microsoft to be Microsoft. However, it was heartening to observe that the Microsoft that I know so well didn't disappoint. I haven't used My Documents since. Pretty much, for me personally, I have found that if Microsoft makes it or advocates it, it behooves me to run in the opposite direction as fast as I can. Can't remember the last time that attitude didn't work well for me.

[ Edited ]
Typically, it's bad to just change the install path when installing software. I'd recommend changing the pointer %programfiles%

You can modify a key in the Windows Registry to change the ProgramFilesDir value:
Click Start -> Run.
Type in regedit, and scroll to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft Windows \ CurrentVersion].
Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" to the desired directory.
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

There can be issues with some applications... so I take no blame from anyone that might try this.

Manually deleting a folder and re-installing will NOT work for most applications - registry settings change, files that most programs store in the Windows/System32 and GAC folders need to be updated and without proper uninstalling, may fail to do so.

Message Edited by GLComputing on 02-01-2008 08:25 AM
Copper Contributor

I mentioned my use of a non-default folder (directory) in my last post because a Microsoft product, Microsoft SQL Server was involved in the ACT! 2008 installation, and over the years, I have learned that Microsoft and I do not co-exist in pure harmony. In response to your comment about changing the install path, please read the following paragraph.

The following is a partial list of programs that have been installed on multiple occasions in multiple Windows operating systems (Win 95, Win NT, Win 2000 pro, Win XP Pro, Win Server 2003) in non-default folders (directories) without issue: ACT! 3, 5 & 6; Acrobat 5, 6 & 8; AutoSketch 8 & 9; CorelDraw Suite 8, 10, 11, 12 & X3; Corel WordPerfect 6 through X3; Diskeeper 5 & 11; FastLynx 3; Hamachi 1.x; HotFax 4 & 5; InfoSelect 4 through 9; VirtualBox; Mozilla's Firefox, Mozilla browser, SeaMonkey & Thunderbird - multiple versions; MusicMatch; Nero 6 & 8; Opera 9; PocoMail 2 & 3; Quicken 2003 + many previous versions; RealVNC 4; Reg Organizer 3 & 4; Spybot Search & Destroy 1.x; Street Atlas USA 2008 + several earlier versions; WinZip 9 + several earlier versions; ZoneAlarm Suite 7 + several earlier versions. On rare occasions, there are programs whose installation programs do NOT permit installation to alternative drives and folders (directories), and I do NOT make any attempt to change their default behavior. For example and as previously stated, I did NOT make any attempt to change the location of Microsoft SQL Server. That said, I am curious as to why you think that it is bad to change the default path when the software developer, for example SAGE, includes that capability within their installation program?

I don't think that I would change the pointer %programfiles%. I agree that this cure could easily be worse than the disease. If I am unable to resolve the sync server issue, it is time to cut my losses and dump ACT! 2008. BTW, you didn't mention if you know the executable and its location for sync server.

Re deleting a folder and reinstalling a program. I think that you misunderstood my context. The c:\ drive has just been reformatted and Windows has just been reinstalled on the c:\ drive. This means that the original registry has been replaced and all references to all of my previously installed programs are no longer in there or anywhere else on the c:\ drive. My point is that I still have an accurate list of all previously installed programs. Using Arobat 8 as my example: I deleted the existing folder (directory) Acrobat-8 and its files located at e:\Adobe\Acrobat-8. I then reinstalled Acrobat 8 in a newly minted folder (directory) Acrobat-8 at e:\Adobe\Acrobat-8. Naturally, the reinstall process placed all the necessary information in both the new registry and in the appropriate locations on the c:\ drive. I then proceeded to install all necessary updates. From here, I moved on, in alphabetical order, to reinstall the next program, which in this case is AutoSketch. With this methodology, I never forget to install a program.

While all programs have the ability to change the default install folder (it's part of the InstallShield Wizard), some programers assume %programfiles% when looking for the executable .. which at least is better than assume "c:\Program Files", which I've also seen done.

This is especially important where ACT! is concerned as it not only has ACT!, it has several Microsoft components that it interacts with (SQL, .Net, etc)

Re the sync server... I'm not sure, but I think this would be a GAC file

Wouldn't it be easier to keep a file (say a spreadsheet) with all the applications you want installed? Or just print the Program Files folder list?

As to the Sync not starting:

With ZoneAlarm, you might need to exclude ACT! - have you tried it with both ZA and the Windows Firewall turned off?
Did you check the Sync Log and Event Log?

You can view the sync Log from the Sync Panel
Copper Super Contributor

Steve,
I use a similar strategy in my networks although we reserve c: for programs and push data off to other drives. If a client has a complicated build we ghost the machine after the build.

I never choose anything but the default install location for ACT! for all of the reasons you have pointed out in your previous posts.

Try taking the defaults. 
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

On my Desktop computer, I uninstalled ACT! 2008 and the "ACT!7 Instance" in Microsoft SQL Server. Then did a complete shutdown of the computer. Next, I rebooted and then ran my Windows Registry cleaner program. Sage's uninstall program had left 450+ orphaned entries in the registry. I cleaned them out, and cleaned up the folders and files that had not been removed by the Uninstallation program.

Next, I uninstalled the rest of Microsoft SQL Server (Native Client in the Add/Remove box). Did another complete shutdown of the computer. After rebooting, I reinstalled ACT! 2008 using the cd included in the retail box that I received directly from Sage. This time, I let the installation program use all its defaults. I didn't even change the name for the icon placed on the desktop. I closed the Zone Alarm firewall/antivirus/antispyware program and then made sure that the Windows Firewall was not activated. Then I "Restored" the .zip copy of the backup that I had made. I then played with the restored database to make sure that there weren't any problems. After approximately 10-minutes, had found no problems.

Next, I navigated to Tools\Synchronization Panel... and "Enabled Synchronization". Then, I returned to the main screen and navigated to Tools\Synchronize and clicked on "Accept Incoming Syncs". The port number box popped up, and I left the default port, 65100, enabled. I clicked on "OK", and as before, a progress box flashed on screen, and then the error box replaced it. It was the same message as before: "Could not start Sync Server. The handle is invalid."

Next, I closed my database, and then opened the ACT10Demo.pad database. I followed the same procedure as before. First, I "Enabled Synchronization", and then attempted to activate "Accept Incoming Syncs". I got the same error message: "Could not start Sync Server. The handle is invalid."

Next, on my Notebook computer, I removed the original subscriber database, etcetra and opened the ACT10Demo.pad database. I "Enabled Synchronization", and then attempted to activate "Accept Incoming Syncs". I got the same error message that I got on my Desktop computer: "Could not start Sync Server. The handle is invalid."

In all instances, there were NO events registered in the respective Win XP EVENTS viewers. The Sync Log in all instances is blank. This seems logical, since no syncs have taken place. Do you know if there is a Microsoft SQL Server log that keeps track of activity events?