Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Portable Drive

Sync Portable Drive

I have ACT! 2011 Pro and two offices. We are a small organization and do not wish to subscribe to a cloud or host service. I have used ACT! along time and just now have to sync with a new employee. Before purchasing the newer version I was told by sales I could set up a copy of my database on a portable drive for my new employee to work from at his home office. He could then bring the drive in to my home office and we could sync the databases. I have not been able to do this and have read and researched.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this you would be a savior.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sync Portable Drive

You can't sync that way ... you may find the best way is to use Hamachi VPN: as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23333

Thanks, but this is what I did not want to do, subscribe to a service. It appears that the ACT! sales department may have provided me with false information.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Rackerson,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

2 things to consider:

1. While there are ways to use an external drive and take a database from computer to computer, it is not a recommended process as SQL requires the database to be on a local drive and this setup could cause corruption within the data.

2. You are running Sage ACT! Pro: If your main (publisher) database is on the same computer on which you intend to open the external drive database - you will not be able to sync.  The Pro version requires both the main and remote databases be open at the same time and that is not possible on a single computer.

Mike has mentioned the Hamachi VPN setup (a reliable option), but there are free VPN services available - which can be found using a web search engine (ex: Google).

Greg Martin
Sage

On a side note: You can certainly use an external drive to take a backup of a database to a different computer > restore it > then import the changes into your database.  But that is not true synchronization.

Greg Martin
Sage

How would I go about doing that?

Note: Always create a backup of your database before importing into it.  Use File > Backup > Database option.

You can create a backup of the database by using the File > Backup > Database option.  This will create a zip file that can then be place on the external drive.  Once connected to the receiving computer, copy the zip file to machine and then use the File > Restore > Database > Restore As option.  This will create a new database on your machine. 

You can then use the File > Import (or Export) function to perform the import of the data. 

Once this has been done, create a backup of the newly updated database and take it back to the first computer to be restored as a new database (no longer using the previous database).

Here are article with more in-depth information:

- How to Backup/Restore your database: KB Article 19211

- Best Practicees for Import/Export: KB Article 17539

Greg Martin
Sage

There is a free version of Hamachi ... no service to subscribe to.

A bit of a discussion on it here: http://lnkd.in/pGqVXw

Actually LogMeIn changed their Hamachi support recently.  They now offer a Free Trial for 'Hamachi': LogMeIn Hamachi

Greg Martin
Sage