Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync Laptop to Netbook

Copper Contributor

Sync Laptop to Netbook

After many years using Palm for on the road information I have decided to make the change to get more info with me. I am using Act! 2008 v 10 (the last version that had software for Plam). I want to sync my Laptop and Netbook so I will have my complete database with me on the road. What is the best way to get the inititial data to my Netbook and there after sync to keep current? Also an unrelated question, does anyone know how to have the Company field print and look - Robert Jones but sort for reports as Jones instead of Robert?

Thanks for your help,

Rod

Bronze Contributor

Re: Sync Laptop to Netbook

You need to setup synchronisation and have done for my Son to have a copy of database. I would leave out the attachments in most cases though.

On the sorting issue I do not believe you can do this in the company field and it will only sort from left to right

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Bronze Super Contributor

Assuming that you netbook will support installing ACT! and that you have your network setup so that the two machines can "talk", here is a link to a KB article on setting up sync: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15192

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your response, it looks like a good solution. One more question, I do not have a network set up on my home wifi (but this wouldn't be an issue?) would it be possible to sync though a usb connection?

Thank you,

Rod

Bronze Super Contributor

Well, there may be some kind of devices out there that simulate a network connection over a USB, but I have never seen or used such a creature.

It doesn't just exist out of the box as far as I know.

How do you get on the internet with these machines?  If you have a router, you have a network...

Copper Contributor

I have had a wireless network for years but none of the machines talk to each other. What is the process to get my laptop and netbook to communicate?

Thanks Again for the help,

Rod

Bronze Super Contributor

In that  case, you probably should get the your techie nephew/niece come over and look at what you are trying to do and have him/her look at the documentation about getting sync set up.