Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sync ACT2009 over LAN

Copper Contributor

Sync ACT2009 over LAN

We recently upgrade from laptop computers with windows XP to desktop computers with Windows 7.  I can't seem to get ACT to sync properly.  Here is our setup:

My database, on my local C: drive has to sync with my boss' database on his local c drive and vice versa, so that I can make an appointment or add a note to a contact and he can see it after a syncronization.

Originally, we had an ACT technician remote in and sync our databases, but we lost that when we upgraded.

I've tried to use ACT help and followed the steps,  I installed Network Sync Servic and added my boss' database.

Is there a step-by-step guide to this, or done anyone recommend something easier?

It's such a shame that we cant get support outside of the initial support period when we paid XXX amount of money for two licenses that dont even update with new ACT revisions.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Sync ACT2009 over LAN

Question - are you using regular Microsoft networking or the Windows 7 homegroup thing?  Sync might need regular workgroup networking - or domain networking to work. 

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think you have 2 choices:

1.  One database must be the "Master" database.  Set it to be shared and then you export out a "remote" database that can be saved to and opened on your machine.  You'll have to create a sync set and decide if you want to sync documents, etc.  I think you can schedule a regular sync in this configuration.

2.  Share the database over the network.  Decide where it will "reside" and make sure it is in a shared location.  Access this copy of the database from both machines.  One locally, the other from across the network.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the input.  I'll go over what I did today:

Uninstalled ACT and related services on both of our machines.  While we are using Windows 7, I'm using standard networking to share files between our machines, not the homegroup.

I reinstalled ACT on both machines.  On the main database, I created a remote database, then I unpacked it onto my computer to use as my database.  This set up the syncing automatically, I was able to enable it using the network sync program and everything.

When I go to the main database, and click enable incoming syncs, I get an error staying "Could not start sync server". I have even disabled windows firewall on both machines, no go.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello butvinjd,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to the sync issue you are experiencing, the first thing you want to do is turn the Windows Firewall on both machines back on. On Vista and Windows 7, this actually blocks traffic to and from the machine. After you have done this, then add the proper program and port exceptions to the firewall for ACT!, SQL, and the sync port (TCP port 65100 by default) on the machine hosting the main database (Publisher). Information on adding these exceptions are in the following Knowledgebase article:

How to Add ACT! by Sage and the ACT7 SQL Server® Instance to the Windows® Firewall Exceptions List

In regards to the error you received when you clicked "Accept Incoming Syncs", this is because you most likely had the Network Sync Service running and using the default sync port of 65100. So when you tried to start the Application sync service, it also tried to run on that port but could not because it was already in use. If you are running Network Sync, then you do not need to have "Accept Incoming Syncs" checked.

In addition, you may need to disable or adjust the setting for User Account Control (UAC) on the Windows 7 machines. Instructions are in this Knowledgebase article:

How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the welcome.

I took the steps outlined in opening up the program and ports in Windows Firewall on his computer.

When I click syncronize now on my desktop, I get the following error:

Unable to acquire Sync Server object.  Server Error Description: Failed to find Main Database [\\PC NAME\ACT DB NAME] for sync.

Of course, pc name and act db name are the names of his database. I opened network syncronization and removed the main DB, then relocated it again just to confirm that my PC can view his PC on the network.  I did it, and recieved the same exact error.

My network sync is pointing to his database, and his is pointing to the remote database that i unpacked on my machine.  (which is the database that I have open in act).

Do you see anything in there that could be causing my problems?  

All I want to do is have my database and username sync with his, so we can share the calendar and notes on contacts.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the host database in a location on the PC that is shared - ie - full rights?

Is act running on the host machine with the database open?  It has to be.

Message Edited by willardv on 04-13-2010 02:51 PM
Copper Contributor

Yes, I have complete admin rights to the machine, and vice versa.

Act is open on both computers.  We leave them on with act and outlook open, and remote into them from home if need be when we aren't in the office.