Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Switching Users

Switching Users

I have a single license on Act v11.1. I set it up a year ago with me as the database owner and manager with a single user...me. Then today, I noticed that the log in name was Tom and the record manger on all past notes was Tom as well. How did that happen. I went in to edit the user name and I can not change it from Tom to Ron. And Tom isw associated with one of my customer contacts. So I went to set up a new user and delete Tom as a user and I cannot. How do I fix this. All of my sales reports are going to say Tom. My opportunities are all messed up and everything.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Switching Users

Hello rradmer,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to the issue you described, I have some questions:

When you log into your database are you using "Tom" or "Ron" as the username?

When the database opens, is the "Tom" contact record that is first appearing?

Are you able to access Tools/Manage Users from the menu?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks so much for the fast reply. I have always logged in with a user name of rradmer and a password of lets say 1234. Then it always said Ron in the bottom right corner. Then today I noticed that it said Tom>??? When I looked further I noticed the key logo next to Tom. Tom is one of my contacts with a company. I am not sure how to answer your second question and for the third, I am able to access "MANAGE USERS". But with one license, TOM is gray'd out in the CONTACT NAME and I am unable to edit it. The USER NAME is correct though. Weird!

This would indicate that at some point your overwrote your own contact record (called My Record and is linked to your user name) with the "Tom" record. The only way to fix this is to change the information in the "Tom" record back to your own personal information. In order to preserve the data that is in the "Tom" record, you will need to duplicate the record, and then copy over any data from the original.

**If there is no significant data in the "Tom" contact record, then just change the information to your own personal information and create a new record for Tom. If there is data for Tom you want to preserve, then proceed to the steps below.

- Make a backup of your database (File/Backup/Database) 

- Go to Lookup/My Record....should bring up Tom

- Right-click on the record and select Duplicate Contact. Select option to duplicate all fields

- When the duplicate record appears, put in Tom's name as the contact

- Go back to Lookup/My Record...change the contact name to "Tom User"

- Do a lookup on the First Name field (Lookup/First Name) and lookup "Tom"

- On the resulting contact list, locate the duplicate you created and the "Tom User" record and highlight both

- With both highlighted, go to Tools/Copy Move Contact Data

- Go through he wizard to copy ALL information (notes, histories, activities, etc) from Tom User to the duplicate Tom you created earlier. The first record you highlighted will by Contact 1 and the second one you highlighted will be Contact 2.

- On Screen 5 of the wizard, choose the option "No, keep the source contact record"

- When done, all data including notes, histories, and activities should be copied from Tom User to the duplicate Tom

- Go to Lookup/My Record and change all the information in this record to your own personal record. This will correct the issue with the contact name and the record manage

- The duplicate Tom record you created will now be the permanent record for this contact

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks. Thats what I did. I thought it was a little bit of a cheat but it worked. So my final question is, although I shouldn't be a customer contact, i do need to be listed as one. So the Database user (employee) with a company needs to be listed as a customer?

Yes, every user will have a correspondong public contact record in the database.

Greig Hollister

Thanks. But that is dumb. Im not going to call myself and I don't need to track sales, opportunities, and activities for myself. This is a hole in the ACT software. Users should not be associated with customers. Unless there is a sound reason that I am missing.

In any event, Thanks for your assistance.

Consider this, a large percentage of the ACT! installations are multiuser installations where the database is used for customer tracking and for internal scheduling and communication. The use of the my records for users is useful for that and, because of the way the ACT! database is constructed, the my record for each user allows easy assignment of customers to a user via the record manager.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok, But would you not agree that a user/record manager does not need to be listed as a contact or company? Listing it this way makes me (or any listed user) as a potential lead and sale that needs to be followed up on.  ACT should change this and make it a seperate list, away from customer contacts. In my opinion Smiley Happy

Given that the My record concept dates back to the first Windows version of the ACT! program and it's use is deeply embedded in the design, I wouldn't count on it's being changed. However, feel free to make a feature request.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129