Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Swiftpage Act v16 with DROPBOX AS A SIMPLE BACKUP

Copper Contributor

Swiftpage Act v16 with DROPBOX AS A SIMPLE BACKUP

you can certainly put the act database files into your LOCAL dropbox directory eg c:\dropbox\act\database.

you can then share that folder on your LAN eg map to \\myserver\databases

this is just simple filesharing and dropbox should not be too worried by it hopefully (i'm sure someone will correct me)

however the dropbox user would expect the database to be backed up when he has finisehed with it. unfortunately some process of act or sql locks the file and so dropbox does not get the access it needs to back it up to the cloud

Does anyone know what process/service to stop to let dropbox work occasionally to do a backup?

it is NOT a good idea for someone else to then use a sync version as LOTS of conflicting copies will be created.

so you can only use dropbox as a backup...providing the database can be unlocked. I;ve done this sort of thing with outlook pst files and it works fine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Swiftpage Act v16 with DROPBOX AS A SIMPLE BACKUP

The SQL service ... but you'll only get partial backups that way.

Much better to use the Act! Scheduler to backup the database to the Dropbox folder
Copper Contributor

Re: Swiftpage Act v16 with DROPBOX AS A SIMPLE BACKUP

thanks mike

is that the mssql$act7 service?? - I can't access that (or sqlbrwser, sqlwriter?)

backup solution using scheduler: I'm not familiar with that but i assume it runs on win7 startup BEFORE user login - is that correct?

I appreciate the backup solution but each time it is backed up that will require a full backup by dropbox and not the changed-bit/intelligent backup that it can normally do. for large database (as per other posts) this method could take a very long time.