Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Swap Fields - Phone Extension Length 256?

Swap Fields - Phone Extension Length 256?

Swapping Fields:  The 'Fields Report' lists the LENGTH size of the 'Phone' field as 32 and the ORDINAL size as 29999, and the 'Phone Extension' LENGTH size as 256 and the ORDINAL size as 29999. Our old v6 'Phone Extension' (char) field size is 13 so when swapping to the newly created 'Phone Extension' I get an error on the size difference. There is no way to change the size of the newly created 'Phone Extension'  I created new 'Phone' fields which automatically creates the 'Phone Extension' field. Why is the 'Phone Field' set to 32? -cannot change it- and why is the 'Phone Extension' field set to 256 -cannot change that either. Working my way through v6 to v11 conversion one field at a time.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Swap Fields - Phone Extension Length 256?

Why don't you just open the ACT! 6.0 database and let it set the fields for you?

Or change the size of the ACT! 6.0 fields to match

1st DB Conversion v6 to v11:  Cannot go back to v6 and it has been converted (with great difficulty) to ACT2009 v11. I'm swapping phone/email/URL fields (in v11) to newly created phone/email/URL fields in v11, In v11 why is the 'phone extension' field 256 in length? The v6 database was currupt, had to create a new db in v6, enter all custom fields (183+) and transfer the data into the new db before converting to v11. Making a copy of a currupt database will give you a currupt copy!! Some things that currupt a database: no maintenance, no indexing, no cleanup of incorrect data (text in phone fields etc), creating custom fields with symbols ie: % Rate, renaming a system field ie: 'Company' field renamed, a 'User field' renamed to a system field 'Company'. I sort the field before swapping to check for bad data, clean it up and then swap.

2nd DB Conversion: The 2nd db I converted from v6 to ACT2009 v11, did data cleanup, in v6 renamed all the custom fields ie: 1User16, 1User17, the conversion flowed through perfectly, I made an excel chart of the original custom field names and logged in the new field name next to each field (ie: company contact 4 = 1User16) and noted the format and field size, when the conversion was complete renamed the fields in the v11db. Also ran ACTDiag on the newly converted v11 db and reindexed, its ready to go. Swapped all the phone/email/URL to new v11 phone/email/URL fields.

Both these databases will be converted into one database, one record from each database will be imported to test all fields, will this go smoothly!!!

Thanks. Patc

Platinum Elite Contributor

patc2436 wrote:

1st DB Conversion v6 to v11:  Cannot go back to v6 and it has been converted (with great difficulty) to ACT2009 v11. I'm swapping phone/email/URL fields (in v11) to newly created phone/email/URL fields in v11, In v11

It sounds like you weren't using the standard fields in ACT! 6.0

why is the 'phone extension' field 256 in length? The v6 database was currupt, had to create a new db in v6, enter all custom fields (183+) and transfer the data into the new db before converting to v11. Making a copy of a currupt database will give you a currupt copy!!

You must have created you own fields in stead of useing the standard ones when you did this

Some things that currupt a database: no maintenance, no indexing, no cleanup of incorrect data (text in phone fields etc), creating custom fields with symbols ie: % Rate, renaming a system field ie: 'Company' field renamed, a 'User field' renamed to a system field 'Company'. I sort the field before swapping to check for bad data, clean it up and then swap.

2nd DB Conversion: The 2nd db I converted from v6 to ACT2009 v11, did data cleanup, in v6 renamed all the custom fields ie: 1User16, 1User17, the conversion flowed through perfectly, I made an excel chart of the original custom field names and logged in the new field name next to each field (ie: company contact 4 = 1User16) and noted the format and field size, when the conversion was complete renamed the fields in the v11db. Also ran ACTDiag on the newly converted v11 db and reindexed, its ready to go. Swapped all the phone/email/URL to new v11 phone/email/URL fields.

Both these databases will be converted into one database, one record from each database will be imported to test all fields, will this go smoothly!!!

Thanks. Patc

You might try the repair functions as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

All the way to the bottom... "Importing to a New (or Empty Copy) Database".

You are correct, I did not use the standard fields in ACT 6.0, I had to change the phone/URL fields to 'Character' fields in order to convert to v11, otherwise, the conversion failed, I tried everything and changing the fields to character worked, now I'm swapping to phone fields in ACT2009 v11.

Thank you for your help.

Pat

Exported records missing data - 2009 v11

ACT2009 v11: Exported 1 record (testing) with data in all custom fields, phone/url's/email fields all ok, however, most of the 'Character' fields have no data (all text) but a few do have data, tried importing same record and exporting same record with same results. The database I'm exporting to has 1 record (My Record) the record I'm importing and exporting (testing) is a copy of the My Record with a different Contact name. Have run ACTDiag on the database before and after importing/exporting  but no change, still no data.

Thanks for your help'

Patc