Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Surface Pro Screen Resolution Distorting Act 2013 Fonts and other Graphics.

Surface Pro Screen Resolution Distorting Act 2013 Fonts and other Graphics.

The Surface Pro and and other computers now have very high resolution displays (1920 x 1080).  As a result, unless you magnify DP settings your text and graphics are now very, very small.  The default DP setting on the surface pro is 150% (See display settings).  Use of this setting works fine w/ all my other programs, but with Act! Pro 2013, unless you drop this setting to 125%, the ACT! fonts and graphics go haywire (some too large, fonts don't fit in label spaces or buttons). In addition to all text and graphics being small to read,  it's a pain to have to change the display setting every time I use ACT!, is there another way?  Anyone else having trouble with this?

Silver Contributor

Re: Surface Pro Screen Resolution Distorting Act 2013 Fonts and other Graphics.

It's not just an issue with the surface Prol ACT! will not render the screen properly unless the display is set to default.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

thanks John, the default resolution on my surface pro is 150%, not 100%.  The resolutions are so high now (and corresponding fonts and graphics small), which is why I believe the default is set to 150%.  I can change it to 100% (tiny!) or 125% (better, but still small) and ACT! will be okay, its just a pain to have to change it to 125% or 100% every time I use ACT (everything else is okay at 150%), but seems this will be required.  Thanks for your response and hopefully Sage will address in future releases.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Because the ACT screen is a combination of a graphic form with text, changing the font dpi doesn't properly adjust the graphic form. Many of the features of the ACT! program relies on this combination. For example, context menus. If you try the WEB version of the ACT! program, where the screen image can be resized, you will find that context menues such as the right click on a field to select lookup based on that field aren't available. I'm not sure what the recolution of the font dpi issue might be but I know that it won't be simple.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Super Contributor

This tool isn't perfect, but it is really close and helps a lot!  http://durkincomputing.com/FreeACTAddons.aspx

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Copper Contributor

Spent several hours working on the resolution for Suface Pro and finally came across this.

Right click on the act icon and select Properties.  Click on the Compatibility Tab.  Check the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".  Close act and reboot.  Then layouts appear normal.  Also I have noticed that the ellipsis boxes to the right of the company name, contact name and phone numbers do not appear on any layouts.  Not sure why.  Anyone else experience this.  It is the case on five surface pro computers.

Tom

Tom Najemy
Squad 16 Consulting
860-758-7250
tomn@squad16.com
Copper Contributor

I also can't get Act! to work well on the Surface Pro2.  The above fixes help some but not enough to make the program functional. There are font problems and Act locks up when I try to view the calendar.  I'm on ACT!v16 and a 64bit Windows 8.1 Surface Pro2.  If anyone has ideas, I'd welcome those but I suspect ACT isn't yet designed to work on newer systems.

Copper Contributor

Update --- I reinstalled ACT v16 and after the install Windows 8.1 Pro asked if the program installed correctly, which it didn't because of the font issues. I answered No and then Windows went through a compatability test and fix.  When Windows was done, ACT! was working fine and still is.

gdp

Thanks so much for posting this compatibility test and fix!  Works perfectly now! 

FYI I found an easier way to get the compatibility test to run without having to reinstall.  Go to the ACT folder on the C: drive and and double click the "autorun" file.  The compatibility test window will open and then follow your instrux to say no and let windows fix it.  Thanks Again!

Copper Super Contributor

I don't have "autorun" file in c drive.