Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Summing contact field?

Summing contact field?

In a lookup of a number of contacts, is it possible to sum the contents of one of the fields in each contact?

In other words, if I have a field (probably a numeric type, but could it also be text?) that's a number, is it possible to sum that field in all the lookup contacts kind of like in Excel? I suppose I could export to Excel, but that's a long road.

For instance, if in my contact layout, I have a field for shoesize, and in my current lookup, I have...

Contact A - size 7

Contact B - size 11

Contact C - size 9

I'd want to be able to sum the sizes together and end up with 27. Is there a way for ACT to do this?

Copper Contributor

Re: Summing contact field?

Abacus Calculated Fields for ACT! Make calculations involving ACT! fields Create calculations involving ACT! Fields Assign calculation formula to field (make a field "calculated") Run your calculations either automatically or manually Link: http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/abacus.asp
Nickel Contributor

Abacus and other products like automatic field calculations work great but if i understad you, you have a field in each contact labelled "size" and in a particular lookup, you want to add up all contacts sizes?  is this just for reference? or are you usingit in reports? Does it have to be saved into a seperate field? or is it just for your visual reference?

If you look at contact list plus at Durkin Computing you'll see that it has a VERY customizable layout design. It also is able to list totals in the bottom of the columns in contact view. They have a trial version, check it out.

If your looking to actually do some calculations on those numbers, well, exporting to excel may be your best option. though im not all that familiar with doing it, at least not automatically.

exponenciel has a program called "excel templates" which allows you to export data into excel and the do calculations and re-import the answers or whatever back from excel. It can be done automatically too, jst works on one cantact at a time though.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thanks! I probably won't use it enough to justify buying another tool, I was hoping there was a way to do it in ACT already but maybe I'd just missed it. I guess not. :-( I'll just use the export to Excel once in awhile when I need it.
vv

Quick Navigation List add-on ( http://actpresentation.com ) can calculate totals and subtotals by any field for given lookup