Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Suddenly requesting login and password

Suddenly requesting login and password

I have ACT Premium for workgroups and I'm a sole proprietor with no techie support.  It was set up about six weeks ago by my wife, who has taken ill and is in the hospital.  Everything was fine until yesterday, when suddenly, for no apparent reason and no  promptling from me, it asked me for a login and password.  I'm the only one who uses this, and it never asked this before, and now I can't access my database.  help!

Re: Suddenly requesting login and password

Try variations of your name and leaving the password field blank. Try your first name or last name alone or both together. Try using prefixes or suffixes such as Mr., Mrs., Dr., or Jr. Also try with and without a middle name or initial.

If none of that works, you call into technical support for password reset.

I'd like to be like the person asking the question was before his problem occurred...I don't want to have to log in. Again, sole proprietor, home office. Act! 9.

But when trying to restore a backup, the system demanded a username and password. I tried everything I could think of (though I was pretty sure I'd never established one). Finally, I set myself up as a user, created a password so I could Restore, but while I thought mydatabase had opened and was ready to use,it was waiting for my password. (Of course I had to make a new backup because the first one was not associated with the password I selected.)

Can I run Act! without one? If so, how?

Running includes Backup and Restore, for purposes of this question. Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

Passwords are optional, usernames are not. Usernames are used to generate the MyRecord account. If your positive you have no password then in the diagnostic, under databases there is an option for audit logs, the various logs will show the user name that initiated the database activity.

You can get to this location by going start >> run and then typing in ACTDIAG, in the diag on the left hand side choose databases, and then audit logs. Select yoru database from the left hand drop down and scroll throug the different tasks in the right hand drop down. You'll notice that there is a column for username.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
The name listed in the audit log is actually the contact name for the user; but in most cases those are actually the same name so it is definently worth a try.
Message Edited by Zachk2445 on 01-22-2009 02:10 PM

[ Edited ]

I am having a related issue.  I did not have a password, but added one per the suggestion made by the Sage rep in my thread about the ACT! Scheduler not functioning properly (a problem which I still have been unable to resolve).

Now, at least 50% of the time when I launch ACT! and input my name and password (which I did not have to do before I created a password) I get the error message: An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database.  Please log on to a database first.

From there I have the option to hit OK but when I do, nothing happens and in order to stop this error message from re-appearing over and over, I have to go into the Task Manager and end the process ACTSage.exe.  Eventually I will re-launch ACT! and not get this error message since as I said it only happens about half the time.

This is very frustrating and I don't understand it at all.  I am wondering if having all these problems within a couple of weeks of installing ACT! is their way of ensuring more people purchase the support package?  I didn't expect to have all these issues as a new (solo) user.

Message Edited by JColby on 01-26-2009 10:15 AM
Message Edited by JColby on 01-26-2009 10:16 AM

[ Edited ]

Any suggestions for reverting to using Act without a password?

I'd prefer that to speed up loading.

If it can operate without a password, what about Backup and Restore? That's what made me create a password. It will Backup without one, but wouldn't Restore without one. Thus my backup was useless!

Message Edited by DryHeat on 01-26-2009 09:24 AM
Nickel Contributor

If security isn't something your concerned about, passwords aren't a requirement. Usernames on the other hand are mandatory.

Backing up and restoring additionally will not require passwords, but again, usernames are not optional, best suggestion is to keep them simple to avoid forgetting them. Another suggestion would be to keep usernames/pwords stored on a notepad document somewhere secure. 

My experience was that after working in the database and adjusting the fields, etc, I ran a backup before importing some records. The software WOULD NOT let me restore the backup without a password.

So I created a password, ran the backup again, and the restore worked perfectly.

My question is, since it's supposed to work without a password, how can I revert to no password?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Another method to find out the username is to look in the registry for the last logged in user (this is most effective with single-user databases):

- Go to your Windows Start button, choose Run (not needed for Vista users)

- Type in regedit and click OK

- When the Registry Editor opens, locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER  and expand it

- Then expand Software under that and then highlight the ACT key under that

- Look at the information on the right side and find the LastUser item....the information here will give you the login (not the contact name) name of the last person to sign into the database.

Note: In this same window, in the data for the LastDBFileUsed key, make sure it is your database or the LastUser info will not apply.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.