Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Suddenly cannot open my database

Suddenly cannot open my database

I get this error message "The "." computer could not be reached because the IP address "." could not be resolved. Verifying that the "." computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue."

I was on earlier today and have made no changes to my system, my database is on this computer, running ACT 17.2.... with WIndows 7. Totally locked out and cannot find this particular error listed anywhere.

Thanks,

Gary

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Suddenly cannot open my database

Have you checked that SQL is running?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Not really sure what that means or how to do it. I certainly didn't do anything to make it stop running. It might help and, while I didn't see this particular issue anywhere, I saw some instructions on the community page about checking for that relative to a different SQL issue and they (the instructions) didn't work. I think they were for older versions of ACT and Windows.

Thanks,

Gary

And now it is just as suddenly and inexplicably working. I suspect something is wrong with the installation but I can't imagine how to track that down if it is actually working now.

I have had this problem for years with 2011 pro.  I found shutting down the computer would occasionally work.  Sometimes it took several on/off cycles.  Now it won't open the database for anything. Do you have any suggestions.

Sorry, the whole thing is a mystery to me.

Administrator

You can check if the service is running by opening services.msc and looking for SQL Server (ACT7)

Services_2016-01-12_11-44-44.png

Here's a couple of Knowledebase articles that detail configuration of the service:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38181

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38229