Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Subgroups

Subgroups

What is the advantage to creating a subgroup?  I am in the insurance business and I could have a group policyholders with two subgroups life policyholders and health policyholders or just two groups life policyholders and health policyholders.  Thank you for the input.  I use ACT!2010.

Sandy

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Subgroups

Really it's how you want to use the program.  I have both main groups and subgroups.  Because I sell different products, I have a "Customers" main group, with each product/service as a sub off that main group.  This (to me) keeps all my customers together.  However, I also have quite a few just main groups of leads, business contacts, etc.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Contributor

Hello Sandy.

Groups are very useful for organizing how you look at data, but I think it is important to realize that master groups and subgroups are independent of each other and each has to be created. 

In your example, you would create a group called Group1 Policies.  You would then add the contacts that are Grpoup1 policy holders.  Then you would create a subgroup called Group1 Life and another subgroup called Group1 Health.

Adding members to each would be independent of each group. 

I have moved away from groups and more to adding fields for classification purposes.  I then make the fields mandatory when creating a contact so those field have to be entered.

Again, in your example, I would create a drop-down field and enter the different classifications.  For example, I would create an entry called Group1-Health and another entry called Group1-Life. 

Then when searching, I would right click on the field and do a look using the "containing" option.  For example, I would lookup contacts that have "Group1" in this field to find all Group1 policy holders.  Make sure you allow multiple selections so you can have Group1-Health and Group1-Life both selected if appropriate.

I hope my rambling didn't confuse you, but if so, just le me know and I'll take anothe rstab at explaining it.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

After some consideration, it seems that groups are a collection of subgroups and subgroups are a collection of contacts.  So that my group, Policyholders, does not contain contacts but contains, the subgroups:  Life Policyholders, Health Policyholders, Auto Policyholders, House Policyholders.  While the subgroups actually contain the contact names.  Is this correct?

Sandy

Bronze Contributor

No exactly.

A group may or may not have contacts.  That's up to you.

These are groups that are not related other than by the name you give them.  There is no parent-child relationship.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit