Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Subgroups

Subgroups

What is the advantage to creating a subgroup?  I am in the insurance business and I could have a group policyholders with two subgroups life policyholders and health policyholders or just two groups life policyholders and health policyholders.  Thank you for the input.  I use ACT!2010.

Sandy

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Subgroups

Really it's how you want to use the program.  I have both main groups and subgroups.  Because I sell different products, I have a "Customers" main group, with each product/service as a sub off that main group.  This (to me) keeps all my customers together.  However, I also have quite a few just main groups of leads, business contacts, etc.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Contributor

Hello Sandy.

Groups are very useful for organizing how you look at data, but I think it is important to realize that master groups and subgroups are independent of each other and each has to be created. 

In your example, you would create a group called Group1 Policies.  You would then add the contacts that are Grpoup1 policy holders.  Then you would create a subgroup called Group1 Life and another subgroup called Group1 Health.

Adding members to each would be independent of each group. 

I have moved away from groups and more to adding fields for classification purposes.  I then make the fields mandatory when creating a contact so those field have to be entered.

Again, in your example, I would create a drop-down field and enter the different classifications.  For example, I would create an entry called Group1-Health and another entry called Group1-Life. 

Then when searching, I would right click on the field and do a look using the "containing" option.  For example, I would lookup contacts that have "Group1" in this field to find all Group1 policy holders.  Make sure you allow multiple selections so you can have Group1-Health and Group1-Life both selected if appropriate.

I hope my rambling didn't confuse you, but if so, just le me know and I'll take anothe rstab at explaining it.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 18
Lenovo X220, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 256GB SSD

After some consideration, it seems that groups are a collection of subgroups and subgroups are a collection of contacts.  So that my group, Policyholders, does not contain contacts but contains, the subgroups:  Life Policyholders, Health Policyholders, Auto Policyholders, House Policyholders.  While the subgroups actually contain the contact names.  Is this correct?

Sandy

Bronze Contributor

No exactly.

A group may or may not have contacts.  That's up to you.

These are groups that are not related other than by the name you give them.  There is no parent-child relationship.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 18
Lenovo X220, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 256GB SSD