Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SubGroups to Inherit Group Settings?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

SubGroups to Inherit Group Settings?

I've setup some groups and subgroups and have run into an issue. I have a ton of groups and subgroups to build and am looking for an easier way to input the data. Currently I have something that looks like this...

Group -> Active Companies (Status = Active)

SubGroup A -> Film (Type = Film, Status = Active)

SubGroup 1 -> Apparel (Category = Apparel, Type = Film, Status = Active)

SubGroup 2 -> Multimedia (Category = Multimedia, Type = Film, Status = Active)

...etc.

SubGroup B -> Classic (Type = Classic, Status = Active)

SubGroup 1 -> Apparel (Category = Apparel, Type = Film, Status = Active)

SubGroup 2 -> Multimedia (Category = Multimedia, Type = Film, Status = Active)

...etc.

That all works fine, but it is an extremely tedious task to setup each subgroup and sub-subgroup with what settings to use.
Is it possible to have the main groups Status = Active apply to all Subs underneath it and for SubGroup A's Type to apply to all of the sub-subgroups beneath it and so on? That way I'm only having to set the category on the sub-subgroups and not all 3 fields. Like some sort of inheritance setting so that the subgroups take on whatever parameters their parent groups have.

If that's not possible, is there a way I can do all of this in some sort of spreadsheet and upload it into the system, in order to make the processgo faster? The manual way is very slow and tedious, like I mentioned before.

Thanks,

Wil

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author c3entertainment
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: SubGroups to Inherit Group Settings?

wil,

when you go to the group and down the bottom add/remove contacts button will bring up a box that says Static members on top and dynamic members down the bottom go into edit criteria and you can build and save your queries in this box

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Bump. Anyone know whether this is possible or another workaround maybe?

Thanks,

Wil 

Bronze Contributor

Will,

Becasue Groups can be both dynamic and static by their very nature each one is unique.

One way that might work for you is when you are editing the query to create the group save this query and then for the next groupp you can lookup the query and then you might only have to make one or two midifcations instead having to redo completly.

Paul Buchtmann

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Hi Paul,

How do I use a query to build groups? The only means of creating a group that I have found is to do so via the main interface. Is there another code interface where I can insert queries and run them against the system somehow? If so, where can I find this?

If you're not referring to some way of writing queries in a code view, then I'm not sure how to do what you're describing. I don't see any way to copy the queries from the interface and I don't see any way of saving the settings for a group and then loading them into another group. So I don't know how to save the query and then look it up for the next group.

Can you give me some more details, because it sounds like this may be helpful in saving me a lot of time. 

Thanks,

Wil 

Solution
Accepted by topic author c3entertainment
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

wil,

when you go to the group and down the bottom add/remove contacts button will bring up a box that says Static members on top and dynamic members down the bottom go into edit criteria and you can build and save your queries in this box

Paul Buchtmann

Hi Paul,

Thanks, that is a huge help! I did not see the litle disk icon before to save the query. I will definitely use this to speed up my process.

I'd still like to see an option of having subgroups inherit their parent groups settings in the future, but this will at least shave a lot of time off of my workflow.

Thanks!

Wil 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

For dynamic groups -

Simply highlight the parent group, right click and select Duplicate Group, Name the group and then drag it to become a Subgroup.

Dynamic Rules will be copied over.

Chip