Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Stuck in re-install loop

Copper Contributor

Stuck in re-install loop

Wow. No easy answers here I guess. Here is my latest nightmare with ACT 11. Can't connect to Databases. Found out that the SQL Server is not started. Why it quit is anyones guess. GO to restart and it says "Can't start SQL Server (Act7) service on local computer" and then suggests to reinstall. Well, when I go to reinstall ACT, I get the message "ACT7 Instance is either not running or Disabled. IT's not disabled, but it definitely is not running. Isn't that why I was re-installing in the first place? Then it tells me to re-install!!!  Okay, I'll be the first to admit I'm no Tech wizard, but this is getting ridiculous. Can anyone point me in the right direct again? Yesterday, the program worked flawlessly.

Thanks,

Re: Stuck in re-install loop

Uninstalling ACT! from add/remove programs isn't going to remove the SQL instance.  Follow the KB article linked below.

How to Uninstall ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) and ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0)

Copper Contributor

I used the uninstaller.exe and when I went to reinstall, I got "SQL Server VSS writer failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priviledges to start system services. I am a one-man operation. There is no one else here who could possibly have administrative privileges other than me. What next?

Thanks,

Nickel Elite Contributor

Sounds like a Vista machine?  If so, turn off UAC, I believe there is an ACT! KB that will help you do this.   On Vista, though your account says you are an Administrator, you aren't, as there is another level.  You might also look to see if VSS Writer is listed in Add/Remove Programs and remove it prior to your reinstall attempt.  Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

@ markdolan ,

After you finish  the suggested steps. Follow Answer ID : 19441

Copper Contributor

The computer is Vista Business but it came with an ooption to revert back to XP, Which I did. Should I still turn off UAC? Also, uninstalled VSS writer as suggested and reinstalled with same error message about permissions.
Copper Contributor

Where do I find Answer ID: 19441?
Nickel Elite Contributor

UAC does not exist on Windows XP.  You can find the article in the ACT! Knowledgebase.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Copper Contributor

Thanks David. I tried everything suggested in the link to no avail. Unless you have any other suggestions, I'm going to pay the ACT support TAX!!!! (Boy this burns me) and get this resolved. I've already committed way too much time trying to get this fixed.

Thanks for everyone's efforts.