Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Strategy for project based activity tracking and reporting?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Strategy for project based activity tracking and reporting?

I am interested in tracking and reporting on a number of activity types by multiple users for (1) client, or project.   Can someone reccomend a book, script or how you do this?  I would also like to be able to filter this in a dashboard view?    The problem we encounter is that scheduled tasks are not showing up on everyones list.  Inconsistancy.  There has to be a way the simplifies this process...

Thanks for any help.....Jef

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jef@fdb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Strategy for project based activity tracking and reporting?

Okay, this is what I have learned so far.  

The basic Activity report is very easy to manipulate and filter, and create template reports.  We created marketing and prospecting activity types, and have created very simple activity reports focused on these items.  These will also help us in our dashboard view filtering.

For sales process activity reports,  We created a custom lookup to capture these contacts.  I am able to this thru the advanced look up feature and filter by Opportunity stage.  From there I modified our activity reports and added as needed.  It does a nice job of filtering by contact.   Im looking forward to user this report with my project managers and also seeing it in real time on the dashboard. In hindsight this like seems pretty basic stuff. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Okay, a little more clarification.  We are using act 2008, premium version fro work groups.  We have a 5 person team.  The salesman, Office Manager, general manager and (2) project managers.  We are a design build company, handling approximately 12 projects per year, with each project lasting 3-5 months.   We currently utilize the opportunity feature with a 5 stage sales process.  This allows us to produce a very effective sales pipe line report that helps me forecast.  Otherwise, We are simply using act a tracking and managing time.  Scheduled Task Lists – Our task list is a mess, produce zero reports with it, and mainly use it for meetings and calls.  I would like to start using it for our projects.  For a project, we have two types of activities,  The first being standard repetitive tasks, and the second is unique custom tasks that are never predictable.     We currently only track custom tasks in an excel format.  I want to do this in Act, and also track the repetitive tasks., and be able to produce a project specific report on status, and view status real-time. When we have tried to do this in ACT, its never consistent with what's showing up and where and who its showing up with.

Does anyone delivery "project based" services where reporting on tasks is an essential part of business?  Can you share your techniques for accomplishing this?  can you recommend a book or adding?

Is this just a simple thing I am overlooking?

Thank you for any insight you may have....

Jef

Solution
Accepted by topic author jef@fdb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Okay, this is what I have learned so far.  

The basic Activity report is very easy to manipulate and filter, and create template reports.  We created marketing and prospecting activity types, and have created very simple activity reports focused on these items.  These will also help us in our dashboard view filtering.

For sales process activity reports,  We created a custom lookup to capture these contacts.  I am able to this thru the advanced look up feature and filter by Opportunity stage.  From there I modified our activity reports and added as needed.  It does a nice job of filtering by contact.   Im looking forward to user this report with my project managers and also seeing it in real time on the dashboard. In hindsight this like seems pretty basic stuff.