Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Strange problem when database transfered to new server location

Strange problem when database transfered to new server location

I have a strange situation which I have been unable to solve.

We are using ACT! Pro 2011 on windows server 2008.  We have two databases running – one for our main customer contacts and another for our marketing department.  These are running on a data server and client computers are accessing the database through the company network.

I recently brought a new server online and transferred these two databases to the new server using the ‘backup and restore as’ function.  New pad files were distributed to all the users and everything seemed to be working fine.  My problem is that once I took the old server off line, one of my client computers was crashing – even when not accessing the ACT! Databases.  The most prominent errors are Windows Explorer crashing when trying to open, and also not being able to access Start>control panel.  Never in all my years have I seen a network related issue cause windows explorer and control panel to crash.  Once I boot up the old server onto the network, the client computer behaves fine.  It seems to be ACT / sql related because I get the same problems if I stop sql on the old server.  We have 8 people accessing the databases and all other clients are experiencing no problems - only the one client.  The clients are running windows 7 pro.

I have made sure the databases are attached on the new server using actdiag.

I have hacked at this for many hours and really have no other places to look.  Anyone seen this before?

Cary

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Strange problem when database transfered to new server location

I have trouble thinking this is an Act issue.  What happens if you uninstall Act from the one workstation?  Might be a good time to reformat that one workstation...

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Copper Super Contributor

We are experiencing a very similar problem but have not found the solution yet.  I will update this thread if we do.  Act! v16.2 terminal server.

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com
Copper Super Contributor

Has anyone else solved this?  I agree it is most likely NOT an ACT issue but in our testing we have gotten some correlation/signals that may mean it is related.  After MANY hours by engineers the problem remains unsolved with zero ideas to pursue.  I believe in the end we will be abandoning the server and starting over.  If we find a solution I will post it. 

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com
Silver Super Contributor

It sounds to me like the pad file they are using is still pointing to the old server or they have some sort of a redirect set up like an entry in the hosts file pointing to the old server.  Give me a call if you want me to take a look at it for you.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!