Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Startup issues with Act 2007 ver. 9.0.1.162

Copper Contributor

Startup issues with Act 2007 ver. 9.0.1.162

Hi all

I’ve been running Act 2007 now for about 5 years and have used Act and previous versions now for about 15 or so years.

I'm running Windows XPS-2 and it is currently updated. 

All of a sudden when I attempt to open my last opened database the opening screen asks me if I want to check for updates.

If I tell it yes it tells me I have the most current version, then it wants to create a new database with the ACT Wizard.

If I tell it no, I can manually open the last used database, but I’ve lost all my formatting such as grid lines and some minor changes to calendar, such as 15 minute time slots.

I’ve tried running the “check and repair” tool and I’ve created a new database all to no avail.

In preferences I’ve tried setting the “automatically check for updates” off and several different other ways to no avail, it resets itself to “automatically check for updates” every 10 days after about 2 or 3 shutdowns/turn ons.

It will go a few days working as it should then all of sudden start acting up as described above.

I don’t have any new installs I’m aware of other then Windows updates. The issue first appeared about 6 months ago and then reappeared about a month or so later, it seems that as time goes on it gets worse, with it now occurring about every 2nd or 3rd start up of ACT.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Startup issues with Act 2007 ver. 9.0.1.162

Hello Jack,
It sounds like your preferences file may be damaged. Follow the steps in the bottom half of this Knowledgebase article to manually rebuild the preferences file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

I would also advise rebooting the machine after rebuilding the file, but before you reopen ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Greig

I made a new copy of the database and used Act Diag to remove the preferences...so far so good.

I'll report back after opening and closing for awhile and see if it holds.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig

I wanted to let you know your solution worked...I've been running fine for over a month now.

Thanks again!

Your expertise is appreciated!

Jack