Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Starting Advisory Business - Which Mobile Solution?

Copper Contributor

Starting Advisory Business - Which Mobile Solution?

I'm going to be starting my own independent advisory business this coming January.  I was hopnig to get some advice/feedback on which version of Sage Act! I should be using.  Here are my requirements:

- Access my Act! database via my iPhone, iPad

- Access my Act! database on both my work computer and my home laptop

- Allow access for 2 users (myself and my assistant)

- Integration with MS Office and MS Outlook

A couple of expanded details.  I've seen Handheld Contact in action.  My only complaint is that it doesn't use the built-in calendar apps or emails of the iPhone. So, when a client or even my family/friends send me an email meeting request and I receive it on my iPhone, i have to manually input them into Handheld where as if it used the built-in calendar, I would simply click on the meeting request and voila!

I also need to be able to access the database simultaneously with my assistant in real time.  She would be using her own computer at the office.

I'm finding the differences between the Pro and Premium versions very confusing.  I understand the Premium version allows for web access but not sure I'm crazy about the idea of client contact data being available in the cloud either, and I'm also not sure how much better it would be than say using HHC.

Lastly, is there any benefit to waiting for 2013 to be released or do I take advantage of the lower price I will be able to get the 2012 version at once the 2013 product is released?

Thanks

Marco

Silver Contributor

Re: Starting Advisory Business - Which Mobile Solution?

I would wait a few days for 2013 and use Handheld contact with sync setup with your assistant.  I would most likely only use premium if you need security, need to seek from out of the office (extra setup here) or needed your database hosted.

Handheld contact is still the best solution for near bullet proof access on your phone and tablet.  There is a feature in HHC to export the HHC database to your native address book so your caller ID work.

If you don't feel like setting it up or if you  need real time access from anywhere, consider a hosting provider. We can put your database in the cloud with MS Office, accessable from any device.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

So if I wanted my assistant on her computer, my office computer, my home computer and my mobile devices to be able to access the database, how would I best set this up? I consider myself tech savvy but when it comes to this, I want to make sure I set this up right.

HHC is fine for my mobile devices, I'm thinking more along the lines of the 3 computers (my office, assistant, home pc) being able to use/access the database without having to schedule syncing all the time.

Thanks
Silver Contributor

In the office, you can just share the database.  To work from home, you could 1) use go to my PC or similar to remote into your work computer, 2) configure your work network so you can sync off the internet or over a vpn, 3) set up ACT for Web from the office.  or 4) have the database hosted by a hosting provider.  If you don't want to sync, some soft of remote access or hosted solution is best.

It's really a beauty in the eye of the beholder.  No solution is right for everyone.

Mobile devices.  Similary choices 1) HHC app on the device wth the info syncing wirelessly or 2), ACT Premium Mobile real time web access (requires web server and static IP address, 3) Companionlink or ACT Connect, sync the devices to the native address book. 

Give me a call if you want, we set this stuff up all the time, happy to talk.

(866)710 4228

Copper Contributor

I may take you up on your offer to speak with you personally over the phone.  Just getting ready to head out for the long weekend, so thought I'd just post another quick question.

If I purchased the PRO version, wouuld I be able to install it on two computers (my office computer and assistant's computer).  Those two machines would then use a shared database by being on the same network.  Then I can remote in from my home PC to access my work PC and still have live access to all my data in the Act! database.

Then for mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad, simply use HHC?  I'm thinking this might be the best setup for me.  Thoughts? What would be any disadvantages you could see from this setup?

Also, how many computers are we allowed to install 1 Sage Act! Pro license on? I believe it says up to 10 computers?

Thanks

Marco

Platinum Super Contributor

For the licensing questions:
- Sage ACT! Pro is limited to 10 active users. This would be sharing a database with 10 users each with their own license. Premium is unlimited.
- Installations for a single license by default have a registration limit of '3'. This means it can be installed/registered 3 times. Should additional installation/registrations be necessary, you can contact Sage to reset the registration limit for that particular license.
Greg Martin
Sage
Silver Contributor

ACT is licensed by the person, not the computer.  So you can use it on your laptop and your desktop.    Accessing the database or syncing from out of the office is more difficult with pro, but can be done using application synchronization.

(866)710 4228

Copper Contributor

Thanks Jon & Greg for the quick feedback - this forum is extremely helpful.

Jon,
You mentioned that accessing the database is more difficult with the Pro version when out of the office - however, the scenario I described above where I would be remotely accessing my office computer to then use Act!, would that be doable using the Pro Version?

Can you think of some scenarios where I would have wished I purchased the premium version instead of the pro version given my work environment (myself, an assistant, and remote access)?

Thanks again, really do appreciate the feedback.

Marco
Copper Contributor

Hi Jon/Greg,

Can either of you please comment on the last post? With the new version of Sage Act! being available within the next 48 hours, I was hoping to get some clarity on which version I should purchase given the info I posted here. It seems based on what I've seen thus far that Sage Act! Pro would be sufficient but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks
Marco
Platinum Super Contributor

Marco,
From your description, Pro will provide the functions you require. You can even use the laptop with a remote database - which would then sync to the main database when connected via network. This would remove the necessity of an internet connection for remote desktop while away from the office (note: it does mean that updates will not be available until you sync).

The only item I see missing is the use of 2 licenses. One for you and one for your assistant. Having 2 licenses allows you to create/use 2 individual user names, which enhances tracking of changes/additions/deletions and provides for separate calendars.

Greg Martin
Sage