Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots

Copper Contributor
Posts: 6
Country: USA

Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots

ACT newby here...please be kind.

 

I had an unfortunate thing happen over the weekend, my Microsoft SBS 2003 server rebooted without being asked (how unusual for a MS product to act on its own!). We run the multiuser version of ACT 2007, and the main database that everyone synchs to is loaded on this 2003 server.

 

When it rebooted itself, ACT was not able to restart itself because it was waiting for the password to be manually entered. Therefore, no one was able to synch up with ACT over the entire weekend. This is not good.

 

How do I make the ACT program capable of self-starting so that when this happens, or similar issue, our staff will be able to continue to synch and continue to use ACT once the server come back on-line?

 

Thanks, 

Nickel Elite Contributor
Posts: 595
Country: USA

Re: Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots


haslamjd wrote:

ACT newby here...please be kind.

 

I had an unfortunate thing happen over the weekend, my Microsoft SBS 2003 server rebooted without being asked (how unusual for a MS product to act on its own!). We run the multiuser version of ACT 2007, and the main database that everyone synchs to is loaded on this 2003 server.

 

When it rebooted itself, ACT was not able to restart itself because it was waiting for the password to be manually entered. Therefore, no one was able to synch up with ACT over the entire weekend. This is not good.

 

How do I make the ACT program capable of self-starting so that when this happens, or similar issue, our staff will be able to continue to synch and continue to use ACT once the server come back on-line?

 

Thanks, 


Do you have the standard or premium version of the ACT! program? If it is the premium version, you should install the sync server on the server machine and add the database to the sync server and then ACT! does not need to be open for the remotes to synchronize.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor
Posts: 6
Country: USA

Re: Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots


Royel wrote:
Do you have the standard or premium version of the ACT! program? If it is the premium version, you should install the sync server on the server machine and add the database to the sync server and then ACT! does not need to be open for the remotes to synchronize.
Royel,
 
Thanks for responding. As best I can tell we only have the standard version of ACT 2007, or so says the box.  
New Member
Posts: 7
Country: UK

Re: Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots

I also have th same issue with my act standard edition. Not only do you have to login into act you also have to start the sync service

from within the program to.

 

I think the only way of doing this is with some sort of macro or a VB script. There does not seem to be any command line parameters

you can add to the act exe program.

anyone else found an easy solution to this ?

 

 

 

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,384
Country: Australia

Re: Starting ACT 2007 automatically when server reboots


jasonblake7 wrote:

I also have th same issue with my act standard edition. Not only do you have to login into act you also have to start the sync service

from within the program to.

 

I think the only way of doing this is with some sort of macro or a VB script. There does not seem to be any command line parameters

you can add to the act exe program.

anyone else found an easy solution to this ?

 

 

 


 

The Premium version has a service that will run without needing to have ACT! started or even Windows logged in