Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Standard User cannot delete contacts; Actreader not working on server

Standard User cannot delete contacts; Actreader not working on server

If someone could help me with these two problems it would be most appreciated.

I have Act 2010 V12 running on our brand new server with MS 2008 Server Software. I am the database admin. I have nearly 30 users on the new system - we are just getting our sales database up and running although we have been using it for our distribution lists for nearly 6 years (publishing company).

I have added a Standard User and given her permission to Delete records but taken away all other rights (export to Excel etc). However, when she logs on she cannot delete records. So odd. Any ideas?

Then I am trying to get Act Reader to run from the Server. I managed to do it fine when I was creating the database on my local computer but I need to get quite complicated sales reports from Act that I put into Excel.

Does anyone know how to get Act Reader to run properly from the server? I need to access the ODBC queries remotely as I am not a full time employee so need it to be running off the server.

Kind regards,

Sandra Jordaan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Standard User cannot delete contacts; Actreader not working on server

1. What happens when they try to delete?

2. What happens when you run ActReader on the server?

Hi,

OK we finally managed to get the Act Certified Consultant to our offices. He sorted out the Act reader issue.

The standard users cannot delete contacts they have not created or are the Record Manager for. I see that the SP1 for 2010 was meant to patch that but I have 33000 contacts and 30 database users who need to be able to delete their own contacts because of duplicates etc.

I cannot make people manager's because then they are able to export records and there are only 1 or 2 people here who are allowed to do that.

Kind regards,

Sandra

Nickel Super Contributor

Perhaps you could try this as a workaround.  If a contact needs to be deleted, add the word "DELETE" to the Company field.  That way, one of the managers can look at the database every week and see the contacts that are marked for deletions.  Hope that helps, Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)