Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Speeding up ACT 2013 Pro with a Solid State Hard drive (SSD)

Tuned Listener

Speeding up ACT 2013 Pro with a Solid State Hard drive (SSD)

I purchased a Crucial 250gb SSD harddrive today and installed in into my laptop to see what it will do to act.  The only thing I can say right now is WOW....It's fast like Act 6.0 used to be. 

I run 4 Gig ram, Dell Vostro 1400, 1.8 ghz (Core 2 Duo), XP svc pk 3.  Removed a 200 gig 7200 rpm harddrive which was still running slow with ACT.  I was surprised by how much faster my machine booted up and how much noise the old hard drive was making.  My fan would be on within minutes of start up.

Rusty

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Speeding up ACT 2013 Pro with a Solid State Hard drive (SSD)

Just make sure you keep a good backup routine ... unlike physical drives, when an SSD fails, it can be very difficult to get any data from it.
Tuned Listener

Good point, I back up using sos online backup every night. 

Be aware if you don't do a backup in ACT! to create a backup file you database may not be being backed up. The SQL server will have the database files open and if you don't stop the SQL server the database files won't be backupd up. The best is to use the ACT! scheduler to create an ACT! backup which can then be backup up by your backup service.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Great point.  Just set that up. 

If I was closing down my act program daily, do that make it backup automatically?

Thanks

Rusty

No ... the SQL service opens the database when Windows starts ... doesn't matter if ACT! is open or not.