Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Speed of Act 2011 after upgrading from XP to Windows 7

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Speed of Act 2011 after upgrading from XP to Windows 7

As a result of the problems last week I am getting more computer savvy.  But, I can't for the life of me figure out why the response time for the same 2011 version of Act is so very much slower in Windows 7 than it is in XP. 

I have the AVG virus program running because my wife came down with the virus XP Total Security 2011 which was just a bear and I don't want to have that in the computer I use for work. 

Help would be appreciated. 

Thanks sincerely,

John Kloempken

Jkloempken@gmail.com

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author John Kloempken
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Speed of Act 2011 after upgrading from XP to Windows 7

Hello John,

One thing you can try is to put ACT! into Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Just right-click on your ACT! desktop icon, choose Properties, then the Compatibility tab, check the box to run in compatibiity mode and choose Windows XP SP3.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author John Kloempken
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello John,

One thing you can try is to put ACT! into Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Just right-click on your ACT! desktop icon, choose Properties, then the Compatibility tab, check the box to run in compatibiity mode and choose Windows XP SP3.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Super Contributor

Sounds like you upgraded an existing XP system to run Windows 7.  What are the specs for your computer?

RAM?

CPU speed?

One item to note is that Windows 7 itself is a much more robust operating system than XP, and will use more resources than XP.  Without updating the hardware to keep pace with the operating system, you could see a decrease in performance.

If AVG is new to the environment, it could be that you need to add exceptions to it for the ACT! and SQL programs.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi and thanks

This is a new hp pavilion g7 notebook

Intel (R) Core (TM) i3 cpu m380 @2.53 GHZ

Ram is 4. GB 3.8 usable

64 bit operating system

This should be enough to handle everything. 

Not so?

Thanks sincerely,

John Kloempken

What's the hard drive speed in RPM? I'll make a guess it's 5400 RPM.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Greg:

This seems to have worked.  But why oh why doesn't Act fix the various problems they have? I have contacted Act in AZ and they still haven't replied.  Microsoft is constantly publishing patches and updates.  With as many problems as 2011 has I just don't understand why they don't solve these issues.

Thanks sincerely,

John K.

Greg:

I can't find out how fast the hard drive is running.  Where would I look. 

I read the article to which you refer and I can't get the correct location for the SALServ.exe and the SQL Browsver.exe.  I can get information on these programs through msconfig and the services are all enabled.  But I am having difficulty disabling AVG for ACT.

Any help?

Thanks sincerely,

John Kloempken

jkloempken@gmail.com

Unless you specified that you wanted a 7200 RPM hard drive in your laptop you likely have a 5400 RPM drive. A 7200 RPM hard drive will provide significantly better performance with the ACT! program.

There's a couple of ways to verify the speed of your hard drive. One way is to check with the manufacturer of you laptop. The other is to rignt click on Computer and select Device Manager and then Disk Drives. That should disply the model of your hard drive and then do a Google search for that model number and you should be able to get the specs for you hard drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129