Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Specified initialization vector error

Specified initialization vector error

Am in the process of upgrading from ACTV16 to ACTV18 (PRO).  Have set up a new server with windows 10 and ACTProV18.  Is working great.  Have now upgraded one of the network pc's to windows 10, from windows 7.  Have un installed ACTProV16 and loaded new version ACTProV18.  When connecting to shared database on the server I am getting the following error message.  "Specified initialization vector (IV) does not match the block size for this algorithm"

The error appears to show 3 times then Act will open and looks OK but not really tested.

Have noticed the upgraded machine is running Microsoft SQL Server 2008.  Believe I have read that for ActProV18 under windows 10 I need to install MS SQL Server 14 express.  Could this be and would it fix my above problem?????

Any help would be appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Specified initialization vector error

I haven't seen that error before ... but the versions of SQL should be the same.
What is the version of SQL now on the server?
If it's not 2014, uninstall Act! AND SQL from the machine and reinstall Act! - this should install 2014

Do that on the workstation as well, if it's the old version of SQL

Mike,

Thank you for your quick response.

The server has Microsoft SQL Server 2014

The workstation has Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.

Not sure why the ACT install did not have the current version required for windows 10 if this is the case.

Have just received an email from ACT support suggesting I un install Act and Microsoft dotnet on the workstation, re boot and re install. Will give this a try.

Uninstall SQL at the same time ... To make sure.

If the install sees you already have an ACT7 instance, it doesn't change it, in case you have other apps using it

Mike

Would you un install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 as well?

A little hesitant to go to deep in this area.

Still not sure if I need to upgrade the workstation to SQL 2014.

Mike

Nothing has worked.  Think I will need to completely re format the workstation and start again.

Hi John, having checked Microsoft's website I can tell you that SQL 2008 is not supported on Windows 10. Since it was an update that you performed then Windows will not remove any of your installed programs during the upgrade, but it does mean you might be left with programs installed that are no longer compatible (as in this case with SQL 2008).

Having said that, since you are accessing a database held on the server across the network then the version of SQL on the workstation shouldn't matter, only the version on the server.

The error you received is very unusual, I could only find one result for this which is when you have the Act! link for Palm OS installed (an old legacy program that enabled Act! to work on handheld palm devices). I imagine this is a longshot, but do you know if you have that installed at all? The below article goes through this in a bit more depth:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18220/

Thank you Mike for your help on this little problem.  I have been unable to resolve the problem.  I loaded a copy of our data file on the workstation and got the same error when trying to access data locally.  I can only presume then that the problem is with the Windows 10 upgrade on this machine.  Looks like I will have to crunch the machine and re load everything from scratch.

I have had to put a stop to the upgrade, luckely I still had the original server and two of the three workstations all running Windows 7 & ActPro V16.

We leave tomorrow for an 8 week caravanning trip up to Queensland, so will put the upgrade on hold until I get back.

Once again thank you for your assistance.  I will keep an eye on this forum just in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

Regards