Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Specific Companies AND Contacts Query

JMF

Specific Companies AND Contacts Query

I want to perform a search that will provide me with all Contacts that are assigned to a specific set of Companies.

There's a field on the Companies form called Consultant (which I can search on to the select my assigned Companies), but there is then no way to view in an exportable lookup the Contacts assigned to these Companies.

And why is it that the view "Companies" is directly exportable to Excel but "Contacts" isn't?

I thought I could get around this by assigning the Contacts to a Group but this view is then not exportable in the same way (right click and Export to Excel).

I can't do an Advanced Query either because this only lets me search on Contacts or Opportunities..!

There are too many entries to go through and tag the ones I want.

Am I missing something..?

TIA

Act! 7.0.3.211

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Specific Companies AND Contacts Query

None of the things you are trying to do ar possible with the version of ACT! you are using. Some would not be possible because you are trying to do a search based on two different table in the ACT! database. However, the latest version of ACT! Premium does have the capability of doing advanced queries on groups and companies.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
JMF

[ Edited ]
Thanks Roy. That doesn't surprise me.

Act! 7 is one of the most confounding pieces of software I've ever had the misfortune of having to use - the level of functionality even in this version is quite primitive, and don't even start on the usability...

Message Edited by JMF on 04-03-2008 04:19 AM

Does anyone know if this is possible in ACT! 2007.

It really surprises me. After all, this functionality should not be very hard to implement - and it really surprises me that the ACT team hasn't realised that this will become a use scenario. Joining to tables is not much harder than selecting a single table - and that goes for most databases.

The only solution i see, at least in my case, is to create a field for every contact and link that field to an identical field for the company which that contact belongs to. That way, if the field is updated for the company, the update will also apply to all its contacts. Consequently, on can do lookups on this field on a contact-level.

But, it amazes me that i will have to go through all this trouble for such a simple thing as a table join query (or a lookup combining two tables, as the ACT team most likely will call it).
Nickel Contributor

I might be on of the most vocal critics of this software.  I cannot understand(well, actually, I can) why this program never gets better.  Compared to 2005, anything is better.  But I digress.  If it wasn't for the concept,  I would be learning Access or developing my own database in an .hta.  Yes, I am learning .hta and vbscript etc.  to hopefully move out of ACT! someday.  I won't have some of the things needed like linking to a portable PDA,  but I don't need it.

I myself am determined to move away from this program and within a few years, if things don't change, I will have enough knowledge to do it myself.  And be very proud I did myself!  It would be more exciting I did it myself.

Enough rambling!

If ACT! doesn't get any better in the next few version,  it's "SEE YA".  From 2005 to 2008 and still is a major work in progress.  MAJOR!  That's 3 years!  They still don't have it right or they have a vested interested in keeping it wrong.  It's either one or the other.

-P
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

sbrattla wrote:
It really surprises me. After all, this functionality should not be very hard to implement - and it really surprises me that the ACT team hasn't realised that this will become a use scenario. Joining to tables is not much harder than selecting a single table - and that goes for most databases.

Actually, it is not always easy, it depends how the database was build...

But we have a tool for that. Have a look at our UrQuery addon.

It is not yet perfect and we're working on a major update, but it gives you the ability to make some basics query combining contact fields and company fields.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Platinum Elite Contributor

sbrattla wrote:
Does anyone know if this is possible in ACT! 2007.

No, Advanced queries of Companies was only added in ACT! 2008

So.....in 2008/09....

...... is it possible to do get a lookup of all the Contacts which belong to a looked-up number of Companies?